THE DENVER TRAIL HEADS Message Board › Please read - general info about hiking opportunities

Please read - general info about hiking opportunities

This message board is read-only.

Lisa G.
DrLisaGriffiths
Aurora, CO
Hi DTH members!

So, Frank has posted several of the "tougher" events for the next few months and they are either full or almost full with advanced hikers. They are all 14er climbs, some multi-day backpack trips. These are his "babies" for this season and will likely be all he focuses on this year. If you are interested in his trips and have done several 14ers, let him know or sign up for the waiting list. Definitely get in touch with him also to ensure it is the right trip for you. I defintely want all of you to have a good time on whatever trips you choose.

Some of you have emailed me looking for more intermediate hikes or would like to begin 14er climbing this season. I totally support that! :) So, now that my schedule has eased up quite a bit, I am planning to post hikes most weekends from now right through the summer. I will be doing a variety of hikes and over the next 6 weeks or so, I will be focusing on some challenging training/conditioning hikes. I am looking to do some mileage around 6-8+ and a minimum of 1500' - 2000' elevation change. As the summer approaches, I will be kicking up the elevation gain, the mileage, and the trailhead and peak altitude even more.

I will then be posting several 14ers and they will progressively get more difficult over the summer. Some of the ones I am considering are: a few in the Sawatch such as Yale, Huron, La Plata, and Sherman; Castle/Conundrum; the Wetterhorn (a tough Class 3) and San Luis in the San Juans; and I hope to end my season with these buttblasters - Shavano/Tabagache and Belford/Oxford/Missouri, both very, tough 14er circuits.

For the 14ers in particular, I will defintely ask that people be prepared and conditioned, as group safety is of utmost importance to me. For many of these tougher hikes, especially the 14ers, we will either get an earlier start (sometimes at or before dawn - ouch!) to make sure we are off summit by noon to avoid lightning storms (more of an ouch). We will likely camp out at many of them the night before so that option will be there as well. If you intend to drive and meet us at the trailhead in the morning, I will post the intended start time so you can be ready to go when the campers are.

I am looking to find people who would like to organize the following 14ers as I have done them and am not intending to repeat them this year myself, but would like to offer them to to group: Quandary, Bierstadt, Grays/Torreys, Elbert, Democrat/Cameron/Lincoln/Bross, Uncompaghre, Handies, Sneffels. They can each actually be run several times this summer as some are popular, so don't fret if you miss one and want to go another time. Just let me know what date you want to post it and you can be the point person for the trip. Other peaks I did not mention are also very welcome. Also, if you want more info on 14ers, check out 14ers.com - it is AWESOME!

As for some easy to moderate hikes, as always, I welcome members to email me hikes they want to post and have others join on with them. You don't have to feel pressured to be a fancy "leader." Just if you have something in mind and are planning it already, this is a great forum to meet others. I would gladly post for you if you want to organize and you could just be the point of contact so people know where and when to meet you.

Thanks again everyone - looking forward to a great hiking season! Stay safe!

Lisa