The Denver South Asian Meetup Message Board › Moving to Denver

Moving to Denver

Shafiq
user 29593382
Denver, CO
Post #: 1
Hello all,

So I am moving to Denver around mid-March and was wondering about cool neighborhoods. I'll be working at the hospital in Thornton so I figure NE Denver might be cool, around the Highland area near Jefferson Park. Any ideas about that area? I've also heard that the Baker / Speer area is pretty cool.....

Also, while I'm very excited about moving to Denver (I am an outdoorsy person who plans to take advantage of all that the area has to offer), I am a bit worried about diversity in Denver. How diverse is the place? Are there Asian/ Indian grocery stores? Any issues with racism, etc? Coming from Chicago with so much diversity, I figure it will be a big change in that regard but I'm hoping it won't be too bad!

Thanks for your input!
-Shafiq
Emily
EmilyMariani
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 14
Hi Shafiq,

I hope you like Colorado, if you are outdoorsy I'm sure you will love it here. There is definitely no shortage of things to do outside all year round!

I don't know if you have already found a place to move, but I went to college in Denver and have lived here for the past 5 years..I figured I would give you my opinion about the neighborhoods you mentioned. I live in Capitol Hill, which is very convenient to many places around Denver. I can walk to a few grocery stores as well as bars, restaurants, etc that are on Colfax or in the uptown neighborhood. I don't know of any Indian grocery stores super close by..there is one around Federal and Mississippi or so. I think there is an Asian grocery on 17th closer to downtown, probably biking distance. Capitol Hill is convenient but definitely, um, more of a "younger" crowd..a lot of recent grads and grad students live here.

I think the Highlands is a really neat area; also many fun bars and restaurants and a few fun little venues. I don't know much about the diversity there, but I think it's a little more of a mature crowd (less rowdy than us cap hill kids) who know how to have a good time. Baker is also cool, a little more expensive I think but also conveniently located as there are many interesting places on South Broadway to check out. Actually, there is some sort of Indian store over there that just opened but I haven't gone in yet....maybe that's what I will do later today :) I think it's a fairly similar crowd who occupy Cap hill/baker, with the highlands being where you go when you still want to have an active social life but without so much noise. (haha)

I think that overall you might be a little shocked at the lack of diversity here. Denver has a lot to offer and the people are (in my opinion) open to other cultures and diverse experiences...we just don't have a lot of diversity historically and thus it's a little slow to change. It's all relative of course. Boulder is even less culturally diverse (I grew up there and prefer to take day trips..the foothills are beautiful) People sometimes will call it the "Boulder Bubble" as it is actually pretty expensive to live there and sometimes people tend to not leave...but you will have to see if for yourself.

Hopefully you don't experience racism or prejudice upon your move. I worked in a school where 98% of the kids speak Spanish at home and when I would report back to my college classes about my experiences, I definitely encountered a lot of naivety around this community and their struggles. Like I said, I think that things are changing (at least I hope they are!) and I feel like many Denver-ites are open to exposure and education about other cultures (myself included)

Happy moving and welcome! If you have any other questions I'm happy to help if I can :)
Emily