The Denver Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP (LAMP) Meetup Group Message Board › For those unable to attend ... synopsis please?

For those unable to attend ... synopsis please?

A former member
Post #: 2
For those of us unable to make it to the inaugural meetup can someone who attended (or several someones) give us a summary and impressions so we could live vicariously through you?

Thanks ...
A former member
Post #: 2
As per your request:
The first meetup was, in my opinion, rather successful due mainly in large part to the 13 or so members turnout, secondly by the willingness, desire, and passion everyone brought to the table. What did we achieve: 1) formal introductions and being able to put a face behind the participants; this was accompanied by what each individual felt he/she could bring to the group but also what he/she would like to takeaway from the group. 2) the express desire to see the group meetup at least once a month and 3) such meetups should be dissected into either a) sort of structured/quasi-formal tutorial/training where a topic would have been decided before hand and the volunteered/elected participant will make such presentation, or b) social gathering where we all get together have a few brewskis and/or snacks and engage in light conversation, that may or may not be technically oriented.

Please feel free to add or subtract from my comment or correct me where I might over/understated what was achieved....
A former member
Post #: 57
I thought the group was great. There were a lot of interesting people, time went by really fast, and the conversations were fun. I think meetup groups tend to be hit-and-miss, and this one felt to me like a hit.

That first meetup was slanted towards professional people - everyone there seemed like they were professional developers / managers. I don't think we had a single college student or anyone who doesn't yet work in the field. I think all in all it's a Good Thing that it's pretty professional, though it'd be fun to get some diversity - we'll see how it goes. Also, all males - curse the Law of Steve!

Technically we talked a bit about design patterns, Smarty, frameworks, Ruby, IDEs, Microsoft and OSS, that sort of thing. As Andy mentioned we also discussed whether we should have 'structured' meetings where someone presents on a topic, an idea people seem to like.

For the first meeting I thought it was excellent. It's a great group and I definitely plan on going back.

The food was good. Thanks AC - http://www.associated...­ - for organizing the meeting.
jacobfogg
jacobfogg
Denver, CO
Post #: 1
Really sad I couldn't make it! especially after the debriefs... Being a professional with a wife that just doesn't understand, I have really been looking for an outlet to share and get ideas... I am excited about making it to the next meeting!
A former member
Post #: 3
Thanks for covering the meetup ... just makes those of us unable to attend that much more driven to make it sooner rather than later ... with luck I should be in town for the August meetup (hint hint)
A former member
Post #: 3
Just thought I'd try to get some momentum going in prep for our next meetup? Perhaps we can have a more formal type of discussion...ideas anyone? Ok, here is my 2 cents:

A talk on the evolution of PHP 5.x w/focus on it's new OO features. Strenghts,weaknesses, and perhaps a demo of small working examples hailing on Inheritance, Polymorphism, Encapsulation etc.

Whose next? :)