addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

LibrePlanet Boston Desktop GNU/Linux Users Group Message Board › Meeting topic: personal home server (private cloud)?

Meeting topic: personal home server (private cloud)?

Brendan K
user 7078096
Astoria, NY
Post #: 1
In the end of today's meeting, Will and I talked about the idea of putting together a not-too-complicated but interesting presentation for next month's meeting that serve as a hook to bring in more people. We kicked around the idea of a 'personal home server' or 'private cloud'.

After someone said the phrase "your own cloud" I pointed out there is actually a free product called 'ownCloud' for this kind of thing. It doesn't do audio/video playback, though, so on the way home, I had another look at a product that a friend keeps recommending to me, 'Subsonic'.

I propose a presentation like this, as a main event, but not necessarily taking up the whole meeting:

• Motivation / why you should have your own personal server [5 minutes]
  • Introduction to the components and what they can do [5 minutes]
    - Your home router - providing optional off-site access. (Also Dyndns.org or similar service to provide a friendly Internet hostname.)
    - Hardware - any old box or not-hot-running laptop will do
    - Operating System: Ubuntu Server
    - ownCloud - Personal file sharing, syncing; Calendar; Photos
    - Subsonic - Audio / Video storage with browser-based playback
  • Demo
    - ownCloud [5 minutes]
    - Subconic [5 minutes]
  • Discussion / Questions [open ended]

I've never actually used these two applications myself, so I will make notes as I set them up and provide some kind of published article on the web from these notes.

If we got a big crowd and we really wanted to dive deep into this topic, I could be persuaded to prepare a ~70 minute presentation going into all the details about how to get the system setup from start to finish. But I think the proposal above is a good low-risk start.

Everyone, what are your thoughts?