A former member
Post #: 4
I owe an apology to my colleagues on the San Diego Meetup Steering Committee. I realize that the reason I posted for my resignation from the San Diego for Democracy (SDfD) Steering Committee was not well thought out.

Several members of the Meetup Committee tried to tell me that something was wrong about merging DFA San Diego Meetup (Meetup) with SDfD. I heard them, but didn’t understand them. I accepted the assertion by the leadership of SDfD that their organization is the same as Democracy for America (DFA), and that Meetup should be a sub-committee of SDfD.

My best friend, life partner, and colleague on the Meetup Steering Committee printed a 20 page document that she found on the DFA website. She gently but firmly pushed my ample proboscis into it. Now I know what she, Carlene, John, and Carol were trying to tell me. I noted that Pam Hoye also discovered the DFA document, and offered it for our attention.

DFA is a Political Action Committee. They use the services of Meetup.com to bring interested people across the country and around the world to meet on the same day each month. DFA provides materials, advice, and proposed agendas to Meetups. Everything says, “Paid for by DFA”.

SDfD is an ad hoc group in coalition with DFA, taking its membership largely from Meetup. Its purpose is laudable, and I support its mission, as reflected in its list of sub-committees. However, I now know that Meetup does not belong on that list. Meetup belongs to DFA; SDfD does not. The leadership of SDfD has no right to interfere with the Meetup agenda.

I made a mistake in trying to take Meetup into SDfD, so my resignation over the attempted control of the agenda was correct; I just hadn’t completely understood why. Perhaps without realizing it, the SDfD leadership tried to usurp Meetup.

I fervently hope that the Meetup Steering Committee can open a discussion with the members to let us talk about the relationship of DFA/Meetup/SDfD, in order to clear the air. I think the thoughtful replies to my previous post indicate the need. Those folks who want to join SDfD should be encouraged to take part in the progressive activities indicated by the sub-committee list, and the Meetup should invite SDfD to put their business on the Meetup agenda. The SDfD leadership should NOT try to dictate the agenda or claim ownership of Meetup