The San Diego Democracy for America Meetup Group Message Board › Stop secret Patriot Act meeting/markup

Stop secret Patriot Act meeting/markup

A former member
Post #: 127
Now the Senate Intelligence Committee has announced that it will rush to mark up legislation addressing the provisions of the PATRIOT Act set to expire this yearsecretly in a closed door hearing on Thursday, May 19, 2005. Call your Senator right away, and ask him or her to open the hearing to the public and to end the secrecy surrounding the PATRIOT Act.

Call Senator Feinstein(she is on the Senate Intelligence Committee) right now at (202) 224-3841 or (415) 393-0707, tell her that you are a constituent, and that:

- I am glad that the Senate Intelligence Committee has held several hearings to review the provisions of the PATRIOT Act that are set to sunset, including those that allow the government to conduct secret searches of homes and bookstore and library records.

- I am concerned that the Intelligence Committee is insisting on holding its mark up of proposed reauthorization legislation in secret, behind closed doors barring access to the public. The Senate should not respond to laws permitting secret searches with secret mark ups.

- I strongly urge Congress to openly amend some of the more problematic aspects of the PATRIOT Act in public hearings to bring it in line with the principles of the US Constitution and international human rights law by passing legislation like the SAFE Act (S 737).

angry