DFW WordPress Group Message Board WordPress Q&A › Flash support in WP?

Flash support in WP?

A former member
Post #: 1
Hi.

I'm working on my first WP site for a client and they want to add an existing flash animation. It's not Flash video. It's an animation of titles moving across an illustration. I searched for Flash in WP and didn't see anything related to Flash in the results. Has any one added Flash animation to a WordPress site and if so would you share with me how you did it please?

I'm glad you all are here.

Thanks.

Tony C.
TonyCecala
Group Organizer
Plano, TX
Post #: 49
WordPress supports Flash in the same way that any HTML file supports it. Simply embed the compiled Flash file code in the location that the client wants it. The trick is knowing where in your theme to put the file -- usually the "header.php" file.
Chris K.
user 40630072
Dallas, TX
Post #: 1
There are also a number of plugins available for adding sliding animations of photos or call to action graphics. Many of the most popular use jQuery and AJAX which is a framework for embedding animations without the need to use or know Flash. They are popular on the developer side but many WP admins implement them easily as well. I prefer ones like Thickbox and Fancybox for their presentation value and they are used mostly for presenting galleries of photos, but they can be customized to present rotating banners without the need of Flash.

One of the most popular slideshow tools is NextGEN Gallery. NextGEN isn't my favorite because of the amount of customization involved and some quirky slideshow functions, but it can get you up and running if you don't know code. It's not the most attractive choice IMO but it is very popular like I said.

See my links below for plugins available. Best of luck and let us know if you go with any!

NextGEN

WP Content Slide

FancyBox

Easy Fancybox

Slideshow
Chris K.
user 40630072
Dallas, TX
Post #: 2
Just a follow up that my recommendations above were for banners and galleries that don't use Flash. I use these frameworks only because they will be viewable across a majority of browsers and mobile devices and you won't limit yourself just to those who have Flash installed.

I launched a series of websites three months ago and decided on a jQuery framework for sliding photos and I'm very thankful I did. My client got a LOT of visitors using mobile devices that accessed their sites. I was really surprised at the number, but relieved that I steered the client away from using Flash anywhere on their sites.
A former member
Post #: 2
Thanks Tony and Chris.

You've given me great suggestions to follow-up on and learn.

A former member
Post #: 12
The truth is that Flash is a dying technology and has been on the downfall for years. I have produced many full flash sites and integrated flash elements into all types of WordPress, Magento, Drupal, Joomla and other sites.

It sounds like you don't need to use flash. You can use HTML5 to animate almost anything. There are also Flash decompiler applications that can break the elements of a flash project down so that you can convert this into something like HTML5 or use Javascript.

Keep in mind Flash has been dropped entirely from iOS and will not display on most all Apple devices which represent a huge % of your page views from mobile devices.