The Philly Video Pros Meetup Message Board › How do you downconvert HD to standard definition DVD and retain as much imag

How do you downconvert HD to standard definition DVD and retain as much image quality as possible?

Chris F.
user 7850482
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 2
Hey Guys,

I shot a film on Panasonic HVX, and edited on FCP Studio. I’ve maintained the native HD format while editing.

I'm using DVD studio pro - and compressor. It looks great in HD, but how do we down convert it to DVD standard def and retain as much quality as possible?

My technically savvy friends have recommended putting the compressor settings on 90 min. fastest encode, one pass VBR avg. bit rate 7.0 mbs, and max bit rate at 8.2, motion estimate best. I did not like the DVD image because it came out brighter than the original image in scenes that were originally playing back darker. There was also an issue with pixelated grain that wasn’t in the original image.

I have also tested DVD Best Quality in DVD Stuido pro, with settings at 2 pass VBR and with higher average bit and maximum bit rates. Not a huge difference, but slightly better.

Are there any settings in Compressor or DVD Studio Pro that will give me a better image? Should I seek a different program or compression format?

How do professionals convert HD to standard def DVD and still have a great image?

Many thanks,
Chris
Marvin B.
user 8825423
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 1
You probably have more experience with this stuff than me as I've only read about compression and stuff and have done very light work with it. But I'll try from my perspective. I use DVD architect. I just select SD format and go under the optimize options which gives me options on how much quality to maintain. This is usually for output to DVD though.