add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

The Seattle Dining Out Meetup Group Message Board › Suggestions for Dinning Out events

Suggestions for Dinning Out events

A former member
Post #: 48
Hi All,
I just hosted a meetup event at Camlann's Bors Hede restaurant in Carnation. I've been there for feasts before, but this was my 1st time just for dinner. It's a bit of a drive, even coming from Redmond, but well worth it. The restaurant is open all year around and is served in a feast/family style (ie everyone shares multiple dishes). The food is wonderful with 13-14th century recipes using fowl, mouton, pork, beef, chicken, berries, spices, etc and there are even vegetarian dishes. For drinks you have the lovely non-alcoholic muste - a spiced grape juice, ale, cider and my new favorite meade (aka honey wine) - more listed on the menu. The proprietor does his best to keep period, including light as if solely by candles, so expect it to be dim. You'll even have entertainment (more for the feast vs dinner). Please note, it's a cash/check operation only, no plastic in medieval times. The meal, tax and tip is included on one bill, so expect to just divvy it up. To give an example, my party of 9 paid $34 each, and that covered the standard 2 course dinner with the additional desert and pitchers of ale, cider and mead (about $14 above the per person price of the dinner).
The feast is a pre-paid event and have selected feasts to celebrate holiday throughout the year. The cost is $42 and again, you must prepay to attend. For both the dinner and feast, the clothier is available for those who'd like to rent costumes and really get in the mood.

My 2nd suggestion is the cooking class at Whole Foods. Earlier this month I went to a cooking class at theBellevue Whole Foods - Summer in Provence. I guess cooking class is a bit of a misnomer, it's more of a demonstration, almost on par with having a private chef prepare your small group a meal. Though the cooking school an be rented out, they have regular 'classes' for the public. It is a pre-paid registration set up with a class size no more than 15 people. With the Provence class, we were prepared about 4 courses (including a couple of desserts) and served a selection of 2 wines throughout the 2 hour meal. Redmond and Seattle (Roosevelt Square) also have cooking schools. Most classes are $30, but they range from $15 to $45. There are also wine tastings, cheese classes and happy hours (see the different calendars). I've hosted mixers/meet and greets at the Sat $1 wine tastings and happy hours in Bellevue and they've always been fun.

Anyway, check them out and hope to join you for an event soon!

A former member
Post #: 4
I want to throw out another suggestion for a place to go eat. The Bengal Tiger on Roosevelt Way has won numerous awards from many groups over the last several years for their wonderful East Indian dishes. It is one of my favorite restaurants.

How do you people feel about going to a Chinese reataurant and getting a number of dishes family-style and sharing them? Depending on where we go (and what day of the week), karaoke might be available afterwards even for those interested.
A former member
Post #: 1
Okay, folks; I am shamelessly promoting this event because I think it is such a fantastic idea!! - you have to check this out:

Dining Out for a Change is an annual project to raise emergency funds for Survivors of Domestic Violence in Washington State. On October 8th, restaurants all over the city of Seattle (and Burien) are offering a percentage of every penny they make to Consejo’s Domestic Violence Programs. Our goal is to fill every seat in every restaurant on October 8th.

Consejo Counseling and Referral Service is offering the community a chance to get involved and make a difference in the lives of Domestic Violence Survivors. With Domestic Violence issues so often swept under the carpet, Latina women struggle to obtain even the most basic of Domestic Violence Services. Living in a world with language barriers, struggling to make ends meet while trying to understand and live in a culture that is unknown, and being without the family and community that you used to depend on can cause depression, anxiety and even fear. Consejo is taking proactive strides to continue providing the services that these families so desperately need.

We would like to encourage everyone to support the restaurants that are giving back to the women of our community; women who are stepping out on their own, taking a chance, and believing that they can change their life and the lives of their children. Please join us at one of the following restaurants on October 8th:

-Geraldine’s Counter
4872 Rainier Avenue South
Seattle, WA 98118

-Waid’s Haitian Bar and Grill
1212 East Jefferson
Seattle, WA 98122

-Columbia City Bakery
4865 Rainer Avenue South
Seattle, WA 98118

-Lottie’s Lounge
4900 Rainer Avenue South
Seattle, WA 98118