djangovan: The Django Vancouver Meetup Group Message Board › Django Vancouver September 2011 Meetup Recap
Hi Vancouver Djangonauts!
Thanks to everyone who attended the September Django Vancouver meetup. A big special thanks to Andy McKay and Mozilla Vancouver for hosting the event and providing refreshments!
Here's a quick recap of the topics discussed:
- Stephan asked the group a question about functional unit testing, and also about delete-cascade behavior when upgrading to Django 1.3.
- Justin asked the group a for experiences and tips on setting up an automated continuous deployment system. Partial deployment to a subset of servers and users was discussed.
- Ian shared his experiences on implementing internationalization of a subset of a large site using decorated URL patterns.
- Matt asked the group for experiences and tips using the Robot framework for testing.
- Lucas asked the group about using Django and Redis, specifically regarding connection pooling. One solution that was discussed was reredis, a socket proxy for Redis built on Node.js.
- Allan demoed his recently launched startup: CollabVillage, a community site for games and entertainment industry professionals, built in Django, of course.
- John shared some of his recent experiences setting up Django test runners to be run on multiple, disparate servers.
- Tavis shared a presentation on a speech recognition system he devised using Python, among other components.
- Andy demoed an app he created to present Django profiling information generated by runprofileserver, using Socket.io and Pyramid instead of KCacheGrind.
Thanks again to all who came out. Our next meetup will be scheduled as soon as we make venue arrangments, so stay tuned!