addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Columbia Dungeons & Dragons/Superhero RPG Meetup Group Message Board › Discussion of a game I'd like to run/play

Discussion of a game I'd like to run/play

Tzalik
Ninja-Monkey
Columbia, SC
Post #: 38
I'd like to run a cooperative storytelling game where each person makes a character for a mutually decided setting. Each person should have a detailed enough character that they have something they want to do, goal they want to achieve, or some other motivating factor.

Ideally I'd kick off the first gaming session by providing the setting for the first location and the players would then provide details, involving themselves into the story and then through a little prompting the characters are off and racing on a plotline they devised.

Here is an example:

• Vivica is a 17 year old high school prodigy that has a rival Kelly.
  • Temperance is a high school teacher, gun fanatic and fledgling occultist.
  • Demitri is a 23 year old singer and guitarist in a local symphonic metal band.

I provided the opening environment: Vivica was at a prom committee meeting that Temperance was in charge of. The meetings topic of discussion was about the entertainment, and Vivica’s rival Kelly wants a DJ that she knows to get the job. The players for the two characters involved took over the story telling.

Vivica of course attempted to persuade the committee that a DJ was a bad idea and that this local band would be a much better option, while Temperance tried to keep the meeting civil and on track. After stating her case Vivica’s player described what she wanted to accomplish and the rolls were made.

Vivica managed to persuade the committee to side with here even though her rival Kelly had two members of her posse on the committee and Temperance left Vivica in charge of contacting Demitri to arrange for an audition.

As the storyteller here I provided very little input (just the starting location and the setting) before I turned the story over to the characters. When it came time to roll I made the rolls for the NPCs but that could just as easily have been someone else.

After that one little input all I’d have to do is throw in a little hook or exploit the character’s background a tiny bit and then the players would be off and running telling the story for all of us.

If this seems slightly interesting to anyone lets discuss it some.

Brian H.
user 9166135
Columbia, SC
Post #: 19
Hey, cool! Have you looked at games like DOGS IN THE VINEYARD or IN A WICKED AGE or SORCERER? These systems could really facilitates such a game. :)
A former member
Post #: 11
Ars Magica :)

But the genre is not even close.

That is one game system I never really got the chance to play but have wanted to play for years.
Tzalik
Ninja-Monkey
Columbia, SC
Post #: 39
The system, to me, is the least important part of this game.

If I can find some people interested we'll then pick the system and setting.

In the past I ran it as World of Darkness.. the magic system being an Ars Magica lite version as it is.
Tzalik
Ninja-Monkey
Columbia, SC
Post #: 40
I've found two people willing to help me tell a story so far. I'm hoping there are a few more of you out there that are willing to give it a try.

Anyone interested?
Tzalik
Ninja-Monkey
Columbia, SC
Post #: 41
This is still an active thread, looking for more interested people.
Ken D.
user 12787967
Columbia, SC
Post #: 1
More info on the type of game: will it be urban fantasy, where magic, werewolves and ancient curses were always there, but only NOW do the PCs recognize them, or is it really just High School life (in which case, I refuse to repeat that)?

And would this be face-to-face or via message boards/ forums. I am just starting a pencil & paper game, I could maybe swing weekly posts for a game, but no more face time.

That said:

Gustav "Gus" Vornhelt is a german exchange student who came to the school, and America, about 3 years ago. His american is quite good (though he loves to point out that it is not "English"), and he is sometimes a bit fussy and proper in his appearance and manners, but is a solidly honest and compassionate person. He is studying anatomy, first aid and medical matters on his own time, because ultimately he thinks he would like to be a doctor; at 16 however (his birthday is in 2 weeks), no one takes his accumulated medical knowledge seriously... yet.
Tzalik
Ninja-Monkey
Columbia, SC
Post #: 42
More info on the type of game: will it be urban fantasy, where magic, werewolves and ancient curses were always there, but only NOW do the PCs recognize them, or is it really just High School life (in which case, I refuse to repeat that)?

Sorry it took so long to reply, I was out of town vacationing.

This would not be normal high school no matter what : ) and it doesn't even have to be set in high school at all.

It would be a face to face game.

As far as the genre or setting of the story, I'd like to get the people involved together and let us all flesh out what the world would be like. There would be compromise, agreement, and collusion; everything that makes face to face interaction enjoyable.