addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

NYC Freegan Meetup Message Board's NYC Dumpster Diving Meetup Discussion Forum › The Fixers Collective review!

The Fixers Collective review!

New York, NY
Post #: 48
This is located at 543 Union Street (@ Nevins Street) in Brooklyn. You take the R train to Union Street station and head west.

Having received an email about this place from, I decided to check it out since I was in the neighborhood. I brought an old steel-toed boot with the sole almost detached, a beat-up leather clasp bag that I found in the garbage with the seam gaping open on one side and a sandal with the toe strap detached.

At first, they wouldn't do anything except give me advice and I found myself discouraged. There were people puttering away on non-working electronic gadgets and I silently wondered why they wouldn't help me with my items.

Then they explained their philosophy. They weren't a handy fix-it club per se but people dedicated to teaching others how to help themselves. They gently encouraged me to make my own repairs. I was surprised and pleased at how easy it was to re-sew the sandal. When I was finished, it looked as good as new.

Then a woman named Sarah whom a few people had mentioned as a whiz at sewing arrived unexpectedly. Everyone was immediately excited to see her and she got down to work. She showed me how to glue back the gaping leather and then sew it using tough thread and a large needle. She claimed the thread and the needle weren't the ideal tools but they would be adequate to getting the job done.

I set down with a will and in almost no time the bag was re-sewn. The threading is almost the same color as the bag; unless close inspection is given, you don't notice the amateur stitching at all. It also matches the weatherbeaten look of the bag, giving it the appearance of something that's been lovingly handed down for generations and carefully repaired as needed.

I took home my repaired found objects and the unrepaired boot (they said Goop glue would be good for that) and found myself considerably cheered and thrilled at the experience. As a woman who sews her own clothes, cooks her own food and makes small umbrella repairs, this place is a marvelous find and I wanted everybody here to know exactly what a great experience I had.

You have to check out this place! Bring your non-working items and, if you like, a $5 donation (per item) to aid their cause. If your experience is as good as mine, "Like" them on Facebook.