Seattle Entrepreneurs Message Board › 2 resources for entrepreneurs starting a non-profit

2 resources for entrepreneurs starting a non-profit

Peter F.
fosso
Group Organizer
Seattle, WA
Post #: 42
Thanks to all those who attended our "Launching Your Own Non-Profit Organization (Or How One Can Help Your Startup)" event. If you missed it, contact us to see the video or to be notified if/when we have another one like it.

Here's some info from one of the panelists, Monica Langfeldt – Attorney, Garvey Schubert Barer:

Washington Attorneys Assisting Community Organizations is an organization that matches non-profits with pro bono attorneys. There is an application fee in order to be matched up, and I believe it is $100 at the time being. This is so that the program manager (who is WAACO’s only paid staff member) can review the application to make sure that the legal issues are concise as well as follow-up if something should not go according to plan. Because WAACO actually matches the non-profit up with someone who will see the issues through (such as prepare or revise Art. of Incorporation, Bylaws, Application for tax-exempt status etc.) I don’t think the fee is a prohibition. The legal issues do not have to be confined to formation, tax-exemption etc. Any non-profit can put in an application whether it is regarding employment, IP etc.

The web site is www.waaco.org and the contact person is Jodi Nishioka, Program Manager. In addition, a great resource which is free on the WAACO website is the 200+ pages Washington Nonprofit Handbook – How to Form and Maintain a Nonprofit Corporation in Washington (both Judy Andrews and Mark Hugh were integral parts of authoring various chapters in this book). It is available for free here: http://www.waaco.org/...­

There is also other resources listed on the website.

The second resource is the joint King County Bar Association/Seattle University/Non-profit Assistance Center Non-profit legal clinic. This clinic takes place the third Monday of every month, and the appointments are for 45 min. The idea is that any non-profit can make an appointment and have an opportunity to meet with a lawyer (free of charge) for 45 min to ask whatever questions they would like. This is often a great way to get started before an organization reached out to WAACO. I am the attorney coordinator for this clinic, and I think it is an underused resource (probably because most people are not aware of its existence.)

The Nonprofit Assistance Center is currently moving so the December clinic has been cancelled, but if there are urgent needs I may be able to coordinate something in lieu of this month’s clinic.

Nonprofit Assistance Center
3rd Monday of the month, 6:30-8:45 PM

Seattle University, School of Law Annex
1215 E Columbia St
Seattle, WA 98144

For an appointment, call (206) 324-5850

The link is here, but you have to go ALL the way down to find it.

http://www.kcba.org/p...­