align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

EUG PHP Message Board › Let's work on a project!

Let's work on a project!

A former member
Post #: 2
Hey everyone! I cross posted this from another Eugene meetup group, but I have no idea which one is active (if any) so here it goes again!

I'm looking for some local peeps that have a little extra time for some side projects. I have a few ideas and I would like to make them a reality. I'll work on any and all of these projects, so if anything looks interesting, let's talk!

First, a little about me... I work full time at Symantec in Springfield. I'm good with a variety of subjects and I learn quickly. I have done everything from building computers and compiling Debian kernels to creating C++ applications and designing web sites and logos. I consider myself a project manager with a very high involvement in coding, engineering, and marketing. Don't get me as a "supervisor" though, I am very open to creative ideas and more than willing to change the entire direction of the business if I believe it's for the better.

When it comes to applications, I'm all about performance and convenience. When I improve upon an existing program, I don't focus on how to make it look nicer or how to add more features (initially) but I focus on how to make it easier and faster to use.

What I'm looking for are friends that have specialties in certain subjects. I have ideas and I can build them, but after a certain point I have a need for someone more knowledgeable about certain subjects. For example, one of my ideas is to build a massive IT knowledge base with user contributed KB articles and solutions. Sure I can create a user interface and a working database. One of the important features that I have no idea how to do is create a search engine for the articles. That's a very important part of the site and I don't know the first thing about search algorithms.

So here are a few of many ideas if anyone wants to get involved!

- IT Knowledge Base: Kind of like the Microsoft support site, but with less irrelevant information and a better search algorithm. The ability for users to add new solutions or new issues (like a wiki). Finally, it will be divided across multiple platforms and subjects (Windows 7, Red Hat, Programming, Hardware, etc...)

- Artillery Game: Ever play Gunbound or Pocket Tanks? Just like this except much more graphically intensive. Keep it 2D, but add insane Phys X effects, debris, water, smoke, lighting, etc... Another option would be to create a very basic game like Pocket Tanks, but for mobile devices. Either way, this is a money maker.

- Text MMO: Client based (Revelations) or Browser Based (New Age 3 and Kings of Chaos) but with our own theme. This is mostly for fun and I don't expect to create anything revolutionary, since it's pretty much all been done. But if you ever play these kinds of games, I'm sure you have said at some point: "It would be cool if this game had ____" or "I wish I could ____."
Rodney O.
user 58874222
Toutle, WA
Post #: 1
Hi James.

I just joined this group and the Boston PHP group today. I have been reading Larry Ulman's books on PHP to expand my programming skills and I find I need more than the books can provide.

An active user group seems like it should be a direction that I can go to improve my skills but I realize that user groups have limitations as well.

Like you I have a few ideas that I would like to turn into a reality and have a few started.

I like the MMO idea but I would like it to be graphically enhanced. One of the options that I have been exploring lately is the use of SmartFoXServer which is renowned for its Multi-Users capabilities and is used by companies like Zyanga and Disney to name two. It has Excellent support for Flash, Python and a few other 3D engines like Unity and most major DBs like MSSQL, ORACLE, MySQL etc. so can be very useful in creating an MMO, graphical or not.

mark
nohorse
Eugene, OR
Post #: 35
two ideas for projects that could immediately help the Eugene community would be 1) a programmer/designer index ala http://siliconshire.o...­ but for people, not companies. 2) a SAS co-working space software package to sell to other co-working spaces. I'm obviously biased because I manage a co-working space and I'm a freelancer, but that would be good projects.