Forsyth Area Critical Thinkers (FACT) Message Board › My teapot is steaming

My teapot is steaming

A former member
Post #: 29
During the late afternoon game I decided to go get my junk food fix on and my trip took me past Glenn High School. I noticed the football field lit up along with the scoreboard and thought it pretty odd for a Sunday.

Got my fix at BK and while eating browsed the web on my phone. I couldn't find anything on the school calendar for today and started getting really suspicious. I was starting to smell a rat and it wasn't my jr. whoppers.

On my way home everyone was leaving the stadium so I didn't bother stopping. Did some more searching and still couldn't find anything.

Took a break from the night game to watch Fox 8 news and see if there was anything mentioned during the sports broadcast... nada.

Found this: http://www.wbfj.fm/ca...­

Then found this: http://www.reynoldach...­

Yep, really steaming... Not that I'm really surprised for this area of the country but this seems like a gross First Amendment violation to me. Before I start trying to drive a bus over the Winston-Salem/Forsyth County School System I better make sure I'm not on the short bus. Can anyone tell me I'm on the wrong track?
A former member
Post #: 30
Found this: http://ffrf.org/faq/s...­

Still thinking I should be steaming.
allison
user 7928734
Lexington, NC
Post #: 43
I honestly don't have a problem with a church using public school facilities to host an event, but that has some HUGE caveats:
1. The church should pay the same price I would if I wanted to come in and throw my birthday party there.
2. Every organization should have the same access to those facilities.
3. The event should be in NO way sponsored or promoted by the school.

What really, really irks me is that, at my hubby's public HS school football games, they open the game with prayer, and they often allow a church to provide concessions for the away team seating.

This truly is a violation of the constitution, and has been ruled against in other public HS cases. I'm not sure I have any place to raise a complaint, as I'm just a coach's wife. Hubby doesn't agree with me since he's apparently been told they have a "loophole" since athletics is not compulsory and funded by a booster club. I'm not quite ready to send him info on the actual court cases, because they've had a stupendously horrible year.
A former member
Post #: 31
You've repeated pretty much what I've learned about the rents and availability, Allison. It just really, really bothers me that on that one webpage for the church "campus" is a picture of a pastor in front of the high school with the high school name legible.

I just have a problem, period, with a religious organization operating on school grounds. I consider religion evil and a basic tenet of any religions I know of is that all information learned by the religion's advocates must be blessed and approved of by religious leaders. As we've seen in this country, religion can be a powerful opponent to education and I feel the two should never mix in any fashion.

I feel you would have standing to make a complaint if you are a member of the community where your husband's high school is located. Whether you should or not, in the interest of marital harmony, is up to you. The loophole is complete hogwash but I can understand your reluctance.

Life...
allison
user 7928734
Lexington, NC
Post #: 44
Yep. Exactly. smile

And I completely understand your gripe with the church basically advertising an association with the public school as if there was an affiliation.