Formula 1 NYC Meetup Message Board › Lewis' Peter Principle

Lewis' Peter Principle

A former member
Post #: 208
I have learnt one thing and that is there is no such entity as a "phenomenon' in formula one. The intangible thing about f1 is that it is a great leveler as no other racing formula is.

It requires the utmost preparation and then you have to deal with the best in motor racing.

Since Emerson Fittipaldi the best performing new driver in f1 remains, Jacques Villeneuve. Last year Hamilton essentially equalled JV's performance, but in this his second year is to date underperforming. For Hamilton to at least equal JV he has to stop maing serious errors and then win 10 pole positions, 7 grands prix and the world title.

It is my opinion that LH under pressure becomes flustered and makes mistakes. Schumi for example, never did this. The great champions, whom ridiculously, LH is being compared to, did not have this flaw.

Last year Hamilton cracked in China and was resoundly 'dealt with' by both Alonso and Raikkonen. He did not deserve to be champion in 2007.

He can still do it this year, but it will require that he step up his performance to champion level otherwise the darling of the press will have to achieve championship success in an orthodox timeline.

Any comments.........
Zo
user 2270395
New York, NY
Post #: 1
Hamilton is a quick driver and can get more than his teammate out of the car, but cannot put the big picture together. The only reason why he is given so much press is because the British have such a huge controlling stake in F1 in general, and this is their best driver. Look at Kubica ... I think he is putting it together like a champion. He's reminding me of Senna's 1985 season. But nowadays the cars are more reliable so its hard to compare.
A former member
Post #: 209
HAM may be getting more out of the car now, but KOV has already outqualified HAM and is new to the team. Always bear in mind that HAM has been part of Mclaren for over 10 years.

Ron Dennis has always had his "boy". There was Senna although Prost held it together and beat Senna. Then there was Hakkinen and Coulthard just lived with that.

I think Ron Dennis lost the championship for Mclaren because he did not decide that ALO was the number 1 and HAM number 2. It was a situation back in 1984 between Lauda and Prost and they worked it out sensibly between them.

KOV understands the situation and will have to fight for every position within the team.

Interestingly, if RAI decides to leave racing in 2010 the Ferrari seat will be a plum and there are a few drivers including KOV that could be a replacement. I have watched KOV for some years since his early career and he really is very good.