Furlife Message Board › How was your first time at a furry convention or group meet up?

How was your first time at a furry convention or group meet up?

Kayia
user 22579981
East Wenatchee, WA
Post #: 1
Hey im interested in going to a furry convention or meeting up with furries but, im really shy and because of my shyness i keep backing down from wanting to go. Can anyone give me feedback on what it was like for your first time??? ^.^ thanks
Raikon K.
user 12741522
Everett, WA
Post #: 218
Had a blast first time I went to con, met some friendly furs and managed to finally get drunk that year. Anyways, the games where fun along with hanging out with other furs as well. I didn't think I was going to be having that good of a time but i guess I proved mahself wrong.
Fisk
user 13101344
Arlington, WA
Post #: 14
First group meet up hmmmm, well I was kinda a little nervous but it wasnt huge ether and was ok. Of course I twisted my ankle with my motorcycle, and it was pouring down rain, also with rider on the back xP

I would say by the second, I was finally becoming more comfortable.
Met some good friends and just had a good time!
The more I went the more comfortable I was
and ever since every single one has been a blast.

Cant wait for my first convention. The more that you attend, the more fun it gets!
All different kinds of people from everywhere. Being apart of such a wealth of diversity,
and seeing everyone gathering together just to have fun in the name of furryness is happily surreal ^ 3^

Getting to know people is the key :D
Perhaps get to know some people apart of the group first before going.
Probably would make it allot less nerve racking ^ ^ It would have been nice to have someone introduce me into the world of furry meet ups before hand instead of going head first in a way.

Keeko
user 12280507
Seattle, WA
Post #: 123
Even getting to know folks online doesn't really help with the shyness factor...unfortunately I didn't do that, I just kinda jumped in, in one of the bigger meets...it was almost a disaster. xD

Luckily I ran into someone that introduced me around, and I met awesome folks since then! Kinda like what Fisk said, the more meets you go to the more comfortable you get/fun you'll have. :D It may be easier to go to one of the smaller meets, or jump right in to the bigger ones...it really depends on how shy you really are I guess...cons of the smaller meets are it's more personal, so a slight risk of feeling like an odd one out (but if I'm around I'll try my darndest to make sure you feel included!) but the cons of the big ones are there's so much going on that you may feel overwhelmed...dun wanna scare you off, buuut I thought you should know the risks. ^^

Best I can say is jump in! And look for familiar faces (or names...I guess would be better. xD) that are coming and go on and say hi! For a bunch of aminal folks we dun bite! =D
Kat
user 11415147
Edmonds, WA
Post #: 113
My first meet was the FurBQ last year, and I was horrifyingly late due to being mixed up about the bus, completely missed out on all food, not to mention being tired as all hell from wandering around utterly lost for what felt like miles. I was nervous about meeting people, as well, but by that point I was just glad to have found the place! xD Plus, when I wanted to leave (because the library was closed, including their bathrooms) I felt that I had to cover up what I was doing at a library that's not the closest to where I live from my mom, which was terribly awkward. (since then I've learned better; "those people with the cute animal costumes" has been a darn good way to refer to furries)

Despite all of that, I still managed to have a good time!

But yes, as Keeko says, it would be better to start off with a smaller meet. Also, try to be as prepared as possible for meets beforehand. And don't be afraid of the little yellow cord on the bus. xD; it doesn't hurt, and you can pull it as many times as you need before actually getting off, even if the other people on board look at you funny.
Lord Flame S.
LordFlameStryke
Calgary, AB
Post #: 2,195
And don't be afraid of the little yellow cord on the bus. xD; it doesn't hurt, and you can pull it as many times as you need before actually getting off, even if the other people on board look at you funny.
Keep in mind that most bus drivers won't chew your tail off if you ask them when to get off for a specific location, either, so you can always ask them. They prolly know their route pretty well -- at least I hope they do.....
Alphapak
The_Lunar_Wolf
Everett, WA
Post #: 56
It felt weird at first. I was a total newbie at my first fur con. (6 months into the fandom) I felt a little out of place too, but whatever. Even if didn't know anyone, I still had a great time there.

Same goes for my first meetup too. :P
Nathan W.
user 19222351
Renton, WA
Post #: 11
Oh god shyness and anxiety hits hard here!
; _ ; .... I just kinda... make some presence around and see what furs that would chat.

and then its back to being all shy and anxiety all over! and the feeling of being too new again....
Konnorwolf
Konnorwolf
Olympia, WA
Post #: 3
The first and only time to date was Rainfurrest 2009 and I felt rather comfortable and was not really nervous about anything. With that said the idea of a meetup group seems to be different because it feels like everyone already knows each other and being new one would have to become part of that new group over time. (doubt it would take very long for most)
Lloyd
user 19210031
Cary, NC
Post #: 1
i know what you mean i was nervous too. the first meet up i went to was Soaking Fur Water WAR the thing that i did to get over that was just jump in and say hi and it went better that i though it would