Playcrafting NYC Meetup Message Board › What would you like to see in a "gaming cafe"?

What would you like to see in a "gaming cafe"?

John K.
TheChocoKat
New York, NY
Post #: 14
I'm in the final stages of planning for a small gaming cafe in East Harlem. It's mainly a gaming cafe (PC and console games), and because of the neighborhood, i'm a little worried. The neighborhood kids don't know much about PC gaming, so I am trying to reach out to hardcore gamers throughout the city.

If you had a place to hang out and play PC and console games, and watch / read anime and manga, what other merchandise would you like to see there? What would you want it to look and feel like? Is there a place in your neighborhood like this already?

I wouldn't mind hosting a few Meetup groups either... maybe there could be a free day for the meetup members once a month or something.

Thanks in advance.
Sean R S.
seanrscott
Newark, NJ
Post #: 6
A few years ago I thought about opening up a "gaming cafe" (aka lan center). I joined iGames (http://igames.org...­) and was able to get a lot of information and realized it was not the direction I wanted to go in at that time. They had a lot of members who were able to share their experiences in starting and maintaining their "cafes". I'm not sure what the current state is of the organization, but they may have some good information for you and may be able to provide cost savings since they can get discounts as a large group. At least, as far as I remember, they were able to do that years ago. If I were to think about doing it again, I would definitely check them out again.

Hope this helps! Good luck!
Rich H.
richardhutnik
Lagrangeville, NY
Post #: 111
Try reaching out to pockets of small game communities in NYC, and invite them to do their meetings at your place. Look to then get a calendar set up, and have them run regular events at your venue. You then want to get this so people in NYC at the time will be able to find you and these events. You may want to consider also going into non-digital boardgames and cardgames, and cater to that market space. Only the Compleat Strategist, in Manhattan I believe is left as a place to buy hobby boardgames in NYC.