The Greensboro Vegan Meetup Group Message Board › Local Vegan-ized Halloween Experiences

Local Vegan-ized Halloween Experiences

Aden
user 11330010
High Point, NC
Post #: 1
I don't have children and it's not even summer, forget autumn! But I was wondering, has anyone participated in a vegan-ized Halloween or trick-or-treat-ing with children?

Have you done this just with your own family, maybe a few friends?

Has anyone done this is a group setting like, perhaps, has this group gotten together and had the trick-or-treating experience or some other Halloween-y type fun with children involved?

I searched the message board and saw that this topic has come up before along with other Halloween posts.

I'm sort of going through a quarter-life crisis which included wondering when I would have children and how they can participate creatively in the context of traditional holiday activities when surrounded by [non-vegan] friends, family, classmates, and society in general.

Speaking of candy:

I've come across Go Max Go candy bars for the first time recently. They are aaawesome vegan versions of candy bars I've grown up with. I've only purchased them a few times but now I am hesitating because of (1) the cost, (2) my lack of understanding of the palm oil issue, (3) my desire to balance or out-balance vegan foods that are replacements or what some call imitations with more unique, creative recipes (although I do have a peppermint patty recipe I am so wanting to try).

Also, I shouldn't be eating so much candy.

I was that lady one Halloween that gave out pretzel packs one year and the next year:
Yummy Earth Organic Lollipops
Stretch Island Fruit Co. All-Natural Fruit Strips
EnviroKids Organix Crispy Rice Bars in Peanut Choco Drizzle
Back to Nature Honey Graham Sticks (honey, I know, but this was a while ago before I stopped eating it)

Of course there are candies that contain no animal products that are more mainstream as was noted in a previous post. Those are ok but I usually want to keep as short/whole ingredient a list as possible for store-bought or homemade goodies save giving people straight-up spoonfuls of sugar!

Then there's the whole issue of giving out homemade treats on Halloween but I guess it's ok at a contained party. And you can always give out toy type things (like I gave spider rings out one year, too).

I'm looking into this site now, too: http://notricktreats....­

Anyways, I've typed a lot already!
Any thoughts? As my original questions went, I am interested to know your local experiences as well as your recommendations.
Heather N.
user 4621861
Portland, OR
Post #: 208
Well, in our group, we've done a few things:

We had a trick or treat for the kids at one of our Harvest Dinner potlucks. It was a lot of fun and the treats were handmade.

One year, we set up a small trick or treat circuit where kids can go to only vegan households.

Adult-wise, we've had some Halloween parties.

We're always open to creating more kid-friendly outings in our group, if we have the interest.
Aden
user 11330010
High Point, NC
Post #: 2
Thank you for the info! Glad to hear this has been going on!