Google Developer Group Los Angeles Message Board › Apps Script Hackathon at Google LA Next Tuesday!

Apps Script Hackathon at Google LA Next Tuesday!

Zach B.
user 2335543
Downey, CA
Hey Los Angeles! There's a special event coming up next week that you need to know about — a hackathon that focuses on Google Apps Script, that Google is hosting at their LA offices!

So let me tell you a little about Apps Script for those who haven't used it before. Basically, it lets you program Google Apps (especially spreadsheets!) like you always wanted to but never knew you could. In JavaScript! Even better, the scripts are all running in the cloud instead of in your browser, so you can do some great stuff, including consuming REST APIs and using live data really easily. It makes a great way to experiment with new APIs or other stuff, then turn around and share it or just keep it around for when you need it. There are also a ton of integrations with other Google APIs, so if you want to do some crazy stuff with your Gmail inbox, this is totally for you.

Trust me, once you start using Apps Script, you're going to find a lot of uses for it. I didn't know anything about it before I was challenged to use it in last year's Last Call for Google I/O. In just an hour and a half, I was able to put together a slick spreadsheet that used a brand-new third-party API I'd been wanting to try out, and my hack actually won me a ticket to Google I/O! These days, I'm still finding uses for Apps Script, most recently to double-check an address list by popping up a Google Map with pushpins for each location.

This event is the perfect way to get introduced to the power of Apps Script if you know some basic JavaScript. There will be an introduction and a tutorial to walk through, then you can get into a group or work on something cool on your own!

The hackathon is on Tuesday next week, starting at 2 PM and going strong until 8 PM, with food, drinks, power and wifi provided, so just bring your laptop and an interest in hacking Apps Script!

If you're interested in coming, check out the details here on the official page:

https://sites.google....­

And if you're coming, be sure to RSVP here:

https://docs.google.c...­

Thanks everyone, and stay tuned for details of our December meetup!

-- Zach.