Cleveland German Language Meetup Message Board › Group Emails

Group Emails

Michael K.
kinderdesign
Group Organizer
Cleveland, OH
Group,

Recently we have had an individual very upset that he sent an email to the group that wasn't approved.  I was accused of being like East Germany government limiting communication.  Taking that with a grain of salt, I wanted to make a post again to bring up the discussions again.
We had this discussion about a year or so ago when members were complaining about getting too much email from items that the group felt should have been in the discussion boards.  It was decided then that only email regarding changes that related directly to an immediately upcoming event would be sent through.  Users can set their settings so that any new meetup is sent to them Daily, Weekly, Monthly or other options.  Since these are automated and ANY memeber can make a new meetup, it was decided to limit emails to the group.  What are everyone's thoughts?  Would you like to begin allowing emails to be sent to the group from any memeber or do we want to keep those discussions in the message board?  I'm sending this on the forum and also via email but responses are only being accepted in the forum at this time.  The address to the message forum is: http://www.meetup.com/german-503/messages/boards/­

Thank you,
Michael
Suzanne
user 13757981
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 1
Hallo! I'd really appreciate limiting stuff to the message boards and only sending urgent things like meeting changes via email. There is also private emailing-- I'd urge that. Suzanne
Jennie
user 7243534
Lorain, OH
Post #: 3
Hello!
I like getting emails. I rarely go to the boards. I can always delete my email and my email storage is unlimited.
Bill K.
user 2815943
Stratford, CT
Post #: 86
I think the current policy you describe is too limiting. Message boards are an antiquated medium and not really effective for communicating -- few read them!.

Many MeetUp groups have unmoderated group e-mail and that is what I would prefer. If unmoderated is too scary for the members, or if it has been/is being abused, then I think the next best thing is for the Organizer to moderate, but not to be bound by fixed rules about what can and cannot be sent. Instead, he/she should be guided by the general principles: (1) Is this noncommercial in nature; (2) Is it potentially of interest to a group interested in learning/communicating in German.
ken
kleve
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 24
I also much prefer email. With email, I can use my own email program. There are a wide variety of email programs available. Perhaps those people who don't care for email should try a different email program, one which works better for them.

With email, I can just click on reply and start typing. Replying to something on a message board takes a lot longer and is much more involved, more clicking here and there, and dealing with meetup's user interface (which is a lot less user friendly than most email programs I've ever used).

And then all the messages on the message board is a maze. You have to poke through many messages and several screens to find a message. By contrast, using email, I can run a search in a wide variety of ways to find the email I'm looking for... much, much easier.

With email, if a post isn't relevant to me, if I don't want to read it, I can just delete it and never have to see it again. You can't delete postings on the message board. Even if it's not relevant, even if you don't want to read it, it's still there and I may well find myself looking at it a second time, even though I wasn't interested in it the first time. At minimum, I'll have to navigate around it. ...in which case I'll still have to look at it again.