The Dallas German Language Meetup Group Message Board › Learn German for Free! For realz!

Learn German for Free! For realz!

A former member
Post #: 2
Hallo Freunde -

First off, I have no idea if people ever read this message board... so I guess there's a chance no one will ever read this, haha. There's also a chance that you've all already known about this site and just not told me... in which case we need to have a serious 'define the friendship' discussion.

Anyway, since I've been a part of this group, I've seen a lot of questions about learning German for beginners. Sure, Rosetta Stone is cool and all- but why spend $300+ when you can get the same(ish) thing for free. A friend of mine from Spain turned me onto this site called 'Duolingo' that she's been using to help her learn German.

I looked into it, and it totally blew me away. It's almost all the same things that I had in Rosetta Stone - but this site is totally free. No catches. Duolingo launched last year, and sure there are some kinks to it, but for any beginners in this group, I wholeheartedly recommend this site to give you a jump-start on the language. Supposedly making it all the way through the lessons gets you to about an A2 level... which took me about 4 months to do while I was living in Europe and going to classes every day.

The only problem I've found is that, although you'll learn tons of words and proper grammar, the site does seem to be lacking in getting its users comfortable in actually speaking the words. Then again, that's why we have a speaking group like this one..... right? Right!

Too long; didn't read: So in conclusion - there's this awesome free language site that I wanted to share with all you cool cats. Here's the link: http://duolingo.com/....­. Go check it out... or don't... it's whatevs.

I've got classes until April - so I'll see all you guys then.

- Lance
Susan L.
user 184074360
Dallas, TX
Post #: 1
Yes, this is a great learning site. I am in the first stage re-starting my study of German. I appreciate your posting because, although I knew about duolingo.com, I was unsure if the German Meetup Group was the place for a beginner. You have implied that it is and have inspired me to attend.