Gigonometry Message Board › My Electric Picnic 2013

My Electric Picnic 2013

Dave C.
Group Organizer
Dublin, IE
Post #: 30
Thursday evening, Picnic Eve, I'm all excited. But first the Tour de Picnic. I won't lie, the cycle was a killer. The south-westerly really did blow, just so we'd know that this wasn't meant to be easy. My legs and I haven't made up yet, we argued all weekend.
So I get there around 3.30pm, chuck the bike, and head into the Oscar Wilde like an excited child.
Diarmuid camps beside me and we head in, the first beer in our bellies. I bump into Derek, Ray, Helen and Ciara.
Ray is already sending out txts so people know where to meet if they require orientation or whatever, as he will continue to do for the weekend, tirelessly and selflessy so that everyone feels comfortable and welcome.
I meet with Siobhan, we catch the last 14 mins of Miles Kane's set on the main stage before we head off to collect the 'essentials' at the car park, and hear Wu-Tang Clan from Stradbally village. Cool too.
We get back in time for My Bloody Valentine on the main stage; they really are that loud!! I enjoy their set; 'Loveless' has always been a favourite album of mine, so I'm really happy to finally see them perform.
The evening ends in Body & Soul, warming ourselves by the campfire,watching the mind-blowing fireworks display, before catching the wonderful RSAG aka Jeremy Hickey, play a rousing set. We hook up with Derek, Helen, Ray, Fran and Enda; briefly discussing tomorrow's line-up, but mostly talking existential nonsense. We call it a night, but only get 20 paces before being drawn into Natasha's where a rocking cover band are strutting their stuff. We dance for the next hour.
There's only one way to start Saturday for me, and that's a trip to Body & Soul to chill out at the main stage. There I meet Tim, and soon Bobb and Mandi appear. We all set off to the main stage to see The Beat, with their classic Ska-esqe tunage, and we dance around like it's 1980 in the Stradbally sun. We go see John Murry in the Rankin's Wood stage; his intense darkside songs juxtaposing with his humorous inter-song prattle, and his last song is epic and mesmerising; he leaves the stage clearly moved by the emotion of the moment.
Deap Vally, are on over to the Cosby Tent, where the US female 2-piece are cranking out a guitar/drum/vocals rock-fest all of its own. Great stuff; time for a beer. I'm pacing myself, as I need to be fine form for the John Grant performance at 9.30. We catch half of Ellie Goulding's set on the main stage. Mandi equally loves her voice and knows her stuff, so we sing along and groove to her high-energy performance. Half way through the second day and this is an amazing picnic already. We still have Robert Plant to come;and we get to see the legend perform Zep songs with a solid band of Sensational Space Shifters. The happiness quotient of going off the scale here. Bjork is next on the main stage, but we need a break. Myself and Mandi head back to the campsite for refreshments, cleverly concealing a can or three from the eagle eyes and searching hands of the security guys on the way in. We hear Bjojrk on our journey back but don't get to see her. We get to John Grant and are treated to the highlight of the festival so far, complete with Sinead O'Connor for the last three songs, and ending in a duet version of Queen of Denmark. They hugged, we hugged, we sighed and moved on. To a few tunes of Two Door Cinema Club to be exact, then we stroll to Body & Soul, where we bag a front row campfire seat and stay there for two hours, singing campfire songs and talking to strangers. We catch a song of Matthew E White and call it a night. Actually we don't, I just wanted to rhyme. Truth is I don't know where the next few hours went but I know I made into No. 5 Hysteria Lane around 4am. I sleep 'til noon, missing my wake up call from Mandi by a bit. One day to go, better pace myself again; what happened to the days when I'd have beer for breakfast?
Not this year, Gigonometrists wouldn't stand for that business; I hook up with Bobb and we meet Juliet, Owen and others for a blast of the perennials, The Dublin Gospel choir, doing their Sunday Service ragbag collection of classic rock songs. Uplifting. Myself and Bobb hang out in Mindfield for a while, where we catch a science experiment followed by a cool show by an illusionist. At least I think we saw it. We stoll over to the Amnesty stand and coffee hut, Mandi returns from a tent trek, as does Siobhan, so we head over to meet Ray, Derek, Ciara, Mathilde,Eimear x2, Antoinette, Owen, Diarmuid and others for Johnny Marr. The legendary Smiths guitarist is front man extradinaire, plus half the set is Smiths songs. Bliss, sheer utter bliss. Magic. Back out for air. Watpaint are on soon. I bump into cousin and rock journalist Nick Kelly, who has been bumping into Gigonometrists along the way. He and brother Joe are on the trail of good things as always. Warpaint try out some new stuff; it's good, then they strike up Undertow, and myself and Eimear are ecstatic, singing our hearts to that wonderful song. It's nearly 8pm; David Byrne and St. Vincent are still to come. Toilet, bar, bite to eat,chill out with the expanding Gigonometry gang, and it's time to witness my joint highlight of the weekend. As a lead duo they are perfect, David Byrne looking like Steve Martin, Annie Clarke looking like the nicest mannequin you've ever seen, both of them partly leading, partly blending into the 9-piece constantly shifting brass section, all backed by a rhythm section and Byrne's choppy guitar. Stunning. Oh, did I mention that about half of the set was Talking Heads? My happiness is bubbling over into teary eyed emotional wreck, so I take some 'me' time and stroll around, catching the last half of the Arctic Monkey's set. I stroll back to the tent for an hour of respite, but don't wake up till 3am. I get up, but can't muster the energy to go back in, despite the attempts of a passer-by on his way to the rave in the forest (“It's on 'til 6am” he insisted, but I was not for moving). I sit outside the tent for a while, watching alternatly the moon and the pedestrians and hit the hay, knowing that this had been the best Electric Picnic so far, of the seven I've been to.

Monday morning; time to pack up. First though, a splash at the water fountain. Wait, they're turned it off! Eff off too. Boo. Still, the coffee can is still cranking out the cappucinos, so I grab one and meet Owen; we stoll back to meet Mandi, who is sitting cosily on her popped-down pop-up tent, Bobb, who has earned the nickname Heisenberg due to his dapper black western hat (Breaking Bad fans will get the reference), whilst Marie-Pierrer stuggles to fold her pop up tent. 10 mins pass by; she struggles on, it appears to be an impossible task. I don't even offer to help, knowing that my addled brain has'nt a hope against a pop-up tent, and eventually Bobb pulls up a YouTube video on how to 'pop-down' that particular pop-up tent, and the job is done. I bid adieu, and head back to deconstruct my home for the last three days.
This is my way of letting go; write about it, move on. Thanks to the wonderful people of Gigonometry for making this happen; there's no magic, it's just magical, there's no thought, it's just thoughtful, and it's all about the live music, that moment when you look at the person beside you as a band strikes the last chord and you both smile in pure enjoyment.
And we still have the Gigonometry gig on Sept 20th to meet up again and make some more magic happen; can't wait.
user 10809426
Dublin, IE
Post #: 1