addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

GRMakers - a Grand Rapids Maker Space Message Board › Favorite Tools?

Favorite Tools?

Marissa D.
user 100636292
Grand Rapids, MI
Post #: 1
Hello everyone! I'm sort of new to the whole tinkerer and maker world, so I don't have a ton of tools or equipment quite yet. Wondering what everyone recommends as a must-have in their tool box. What sort of hand tools should I buy--precision screwdrivers, wire strippers, pliers, etc.? Any favorite brands?
A former member
Post #: 1
For me, it depends a bit on what I'm doing. I started out with a very limited set of very basic tools. Then, as I needed a specialized tool or a new tool for some purpose, I buy them as I run into a need. Otherwise, you can drop a whole lot of money really quickly. lol. I have electronics tools, machining tools, diagnostic tools, etc. But I've acquired them over several years as needed. The fact that you mentioned wire strippers makes me think you are thinking about electronics/computer type tools. You can probably get a basic "kit" with needle nose pliers, wire cutters, wire strippers, a few small screw drivers, etc. And you'll definitely benefit from a good multimeter. I have a Fluke that I bought used on eBay. You can also find some good stuff on the cheap on Craig's list. My best advice would be to start with a small, basic kit and add to it as needed. Hope this helps!