HacDC Message Board › Bright Floor Lamp

Bright Floor Lamp

Evan
user 7177354
Washington, DC
Post #: 32
Thank you for taking a look. I am brand new here. I have no money, no tools, no skills, no vehicle, no workspace, no education. I live in a tiny (325 sq ft) apartment and I subsist on Social Security Disability. What I do have is time and passion.
This project idea is very vague. I like to read, and I find darkness very depressing. I had a second hand floor lamp that finally died. It was very old and very dangerous, but I loved how bright and adaptable it was. It was a halogen torcherie with a dimmer switch, and could bounce up to 300 watts off the ceiling. It did get very hot, but it was worth it. I have really no money to spend even on parts, but maybe a solution to that will emerge. I certainly can't buy a commercial lamp, and I guess building one will cost even more, but I want what I want: I want that huge 300 watt level of light in a lamp that is fully dimmable. Ideally, it would be beautiful as well as functional. I've even seen torcheries that have a gooseneck extra light attached to the middle, with a separate switch, to use as a reading lamp. That would be perfect. For aesthetics I'm thinking of making it out of brass, and acid etching a steampunk or art deco or Art Nouveau pattern into the metal. I'd very much like the reading lamp portion to have a shade that will resist heat, so it can be safely touched or brushed up against.