add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Hack EXG: Group Electrophysiology Experimentation Message Board › First hackEXG experiment this Friday 28th...

First hackEXG experiment this Friday 28th... EEG for focus / concentration. 6 participant spaces left.

Alex G.
user 33155792
Group Organizer
Morgan Hill, CA

I threw this group together with one goal in mind: get together with like-minded sensor/data enthusiasts, run mini-experiments, analyze, draw conclusions. LEARN. Run through the process on a small scale every week, experimenting with different modalities and applications of electrophysiology... and there are a lot to choose from. I'm sure we all come at it with a unique perspective - which is why I'm so excited about this meetup. :)

For our first experiment, I was thinking about EEG. By the way, do any of you feel pretty comfortable with the 10-20 system, bipolar EEG montages, and/or the basics of EEG signal processing? Please let me know; I would love your help figuring out the best way to do this.

Here is specifically what I want to test: I hear a rumor that focus / attention is measurable by looking at the ratio of the power spectrum densities of beta to alpha. Or alpha to beta; whatever. And I'm guessing there's a moving average or two in there somewhere. I'm curious - if about 10 of us get together and measure ourselves relaxing, eyes closed, doing deep breathing and then transitioning to intensely focusing (we can come up with some standardized task), what would those alpha psd : beta psd ratios look like? Are there additional signal processing or algorithmic steps required to derive a useful measure for focus? I have at least four people who have already requested and reserved experimental spots in this meetup, so six more people and I will feel like that's a good size for our first run/meetup/experimental session.

How's everyone's availability for this coming Friday afternoon / after work to get together in Palo Alto for a few hours and gather a little data? We could have a working dinner - pizza and beer whilst experimenting, perhaps? I know, I'm a classy guy. I was thinking we could start around 4pm with a few people whose schedules permit it, and for those who can join after work around 5pm that's great too because I only have two research-grade systems (MindMedia NeXus-4 and NeXus-10), so it's not like we can all record data simultaneously anyway.
Please let me know if you: 1) Are interested in this particular experiment, 2) can or can't make this Friday (28th) afternoon - and 3) if it is possible for you to meet in Palo Alto on that day/time. We have a beautiful facility with lots of space, big screens, and gizmos around to play with.

I don't know about you, but I'm excited to start doing these experiments together! :)

*UPDATE: A few people have confirmed Friday as a time, so I'm going to go ahead and set it up.

Edwin M.
user 14635181
Dha Nang, VN
Post #: 1
I would love to participate! Although I'm not available this Friday. I'm pretty much open after this week though!