Hello fellow hacks and hackers!
As a member of Hacks/Hackers, you are entitled to a great discount for a one day "coding for beginners" workshop with promo code HACKHACK: http://learntocode.eventbrite.com/
I'd like to invite everyone in Hacks/Hackers to join me at my one day "Coding For Beginners" workshop. It's a hands-on, intensive, small group study where you will learn everything you need to know to get started with reading and writing your own programs.
There are many free, online options for learning how to code; and there are just as many expensive, multi-week university-style classes and certification programs out there. But it seems to me that few (if any) of them really accomplish the goal of giving people real understanding of how programming and computers work.
I believe that the best way to learn is face-to-face / in person, and I've designed my workshop to teach everything you need to know to start coding in just one day. My goal is to break down barriers and take away any hurdles people believe they are facing in learning how to read and write code. And the workshop is a "no judgment zone" - I'll answer any and every question you've got about computers and programming!
No experience is required other than a strong desire to learn how to program. Students will walk out of the workshop having learned the following:
- The history of computers, from ancient to modern times
- How a modern computer works, from hardware to software
- Working with your computer's operating system using commands
- Installing a package manager to install programming tools (Homebrew)
- Programming language basics and using an interpreter
- Creating programs using step-by-step outlines
- Researching and reading documentation
- Installing third party software libraries
- A brief introduction to advanced programming concepts
The class happens monthly, and the next one is coming up on July 12th - hope to see you there!
Promo code: HACKHACK