addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Baltimore Hiking Meetup Group Message Board › Announcing the Annapolis Area Rowing Meetup

Announcing the Annapolis Area Rowing Meetup

Chris R.
Howdy Hikers,

Announcing the Annapolis Area Rowing Meet......

The sport of Rowing for pleasure in the wild has nearly disappeared from the Bay. But, as endangered as it is, I have found some stalwart folk who still row open water. The Annapolis Area Rowing Meet is a very mixed and wonderful group of people who row their shells where they want. I hope to reintroduce this sport to younger people who don't know you can row a shell in the open.

No doubt you are familiar with Flat Water Racing. This is not that. We agree to meet and bring our shells. A number of our members are new to the sport. One loves to teach. Another specializes in finding good old shells that are capable of rowing in open water, that's important because not all shells are. We have a member who has established an Open Water Rowing Center on Selby Bay after being introduced to the sport. So now, there is a place to keep your shells in community and have someone around to row with if you; like similar to the flat water clubs, but far less expensive.

We are in search of more new members. Those who wish to learn are welcome. Those who rowed in school and want to return to the sport should join.We are not limited to back creeks and flat water and it is quiet different from what you did in school.

Most of our members own their own shells. The meet owns none. I will share mine. I own two and hope to acquire more before the Summer. I don't know how we will accommodate everyone but I promise to make a good effort. Our first 2 events are in places where there is something for everyone. Please check us out at...

http://rowing.meetup....­

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I hope I get to meet some of you.
Jean Tucker for AARM