add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Windy City Hikers Meetup Group Message Board › There are not enough openings

There are not enough openings

Mike C.
user 13549112
Chicago, IL
Post #: 1
These meetup groups are great, but there are too few spots. When I get home, and check my E-mail the day the invite is sent out, the event is already booked and I'm on a waiting list. I plan on attending the Jan. 22 Meetup at Kettle Moraine regardless.
Linda C
Oak Park, IL
Post #: 34
There are a several reasons that the number of spots are limited: (1) most forest preserves and state parks limit the size of the groups to around 20 or 25. (2) 20 people is around the maximum number that one organizer can keep together as a group. (3) I've been on a hike with 40 people before: it was noisy and crowded, with people were bumping into me. It was neither fun nor relaxing.
A former member
Post #: 9
Hi! I am a new member and have not had the chance to come out and hike with you. I can see both points of view here, though, with the quick meetup fill up and then the overcrowded, far from relaxing, too big of group. Is it all possible to split into two or even three groups, as necessary, with perhaps 2 other leaders or co-organizers? You guys seem like a fun group and I am anxious to meet all of you. I live in downtown Chicago so sometimes it's hard for me to get out that way, but I do plan in the near future. Have a great weekend! Gina
Tommy N.
Chicago, IL
Post #: 36
Being an organizer myself, I am fully aware of the investment of energy and personal involvement required to plan, organize, schedule and finally, host, a successful event. Even a relaxing walk through the woods needs a sizable commitment of our time and energy prior to, during and after the event.

We have lives of our own that we are squeezing this event into so I am always amazed that when members are inconvenienced, their first recourse is to suggest the organizers " simply " amass more responsibilities upon the ones they are already shouldering rather than thinking about accepting a bit more more responsibility for their own lives.

Check your e-mail more often! Buy a cell phone! Purchase a data plan so you can check it from the phone you already own! Organize a buddy system where your hike-mate puts you down as a " +1 " on their RSVP before it fills up! Or just accept that you were too late and the event is full and move on. Better luck next time.

If, for some reason, acquiring easy and timely Internet access is beyond your means, perhaps a online social group is not a good fit for you.

And to Mike: At my events, showing up " regardless " and expecting to be welcomed as part of my group that day puts you on a fast track to being banned from all future involvement. You might want to ask Linda about her policy on that.
Tim S
user 6752530
Hoffman Estates, IL
Post #: 161
I would suggest to keep checking even after the Meetup is closed because many times people drop out before the Meetup starts.