Windy City Hikers Meetup Group Message Board › looking for a hike expert?

looking for a hike expert?

Liz T.
user 58512792
Chicago, IL
Post #: 6
I'm with the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation and we're doing some preliminary research for a new event we're hoping to launch in Illinois in 2013 - Xtreme Hike.
An Xtreme Hike is a hike experience weekend consisting of a long distance hike in the Illinois region.

Right now I'm looking for some advice from a hiking expert who lead me in the right directon of who to talk to about a location, and share some of their vast knowledge as I'm a bit of a hiking novice. Feel free to message me back directly if you have any thoughts or ideas or email me at work @ ethomspon@cff.org.

Thanks!

Linda C
winterlilac
Chicago, IL
Post #: 48
In most of the natural areas near Chicago, there are less than 15 miles of trails, so your options are limited if you want to have enough hiking for a whole weekend.

There is the Palos forest preserve area and Sag Valley forest preserves, which are SW of the loop and are managed by the Cook County Forest Preserves. The trails are very popular with mountain bikers.

I think your best bet would be Kettle Moraine State Forest in SW Wisconsin (about 2 hours from Chicago). Managed by the WI DNR, there are probably 100+ miles of trails in the park. The Ice Age trail alone runs for 30 miles in the park. This is fairly hilly (for the midwest) trail and is probably the closest wilderness experience you will get near Chicago.