addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Houston PHP Users Group Message Board › wamp5 crisis

wamp5 crisis

A former member
Post #: 1
I installed wamp5 on my computer. But some reason, it does not seem to be working on dreamweaver. I read several online forums, discussions to ensure that I did install it properly. I uninstalled and installed php5 with and without wamp5 several times! To sum up, i have been at it for two days to install wamp5 on my laptop so I can start coding. Can anyone advise me on where i am going wrong? Is it my dreamweaver or port80?

When i write my php code in dreamweaver, and press f12 to publish, just a blank screen pops up with nothing on it. I used a simple, hello world code. Here is the code.

<body>

<?php echo "Hello world!"; ?>

</body>
</html>

please help!
I live near sugarland, i can even meet up somewhere with my laptop.

thanks in advance,
mansi
A former member
I'm not completely familiar with wamp but i have two questions

• Is this all of your code?
  • Did you view source when you got the blank screen?

One problem I see is that you have invalid HTML which may make a difference depending on your browser and all that but the above may not be all of your code. you should have a code tree similar to: html > body > php < body < html

Since you're getting a blank page and not a 404 error i'm thinking that you may be getting the page served you're just having a rendering problem. Unless you're only showing friendly error messages. I remember that IE used to, by default, only show friendly error messages which may not display whatever real error you're running into. If using IE then you may want to go into the tools > internet options > advanced tab > make sure that "show friendly http error messages" is not selected then refresh the page.

Also, if you are still getting the blank screen you may want to view source from the browser to see if you can see anything that may help make sense.

Is there any other way to test WAMP prior to writing your first php page? you know, just to make sure it is working right?

Also, i'm not quite sure what happens in dreamweaver when you hit F12 (been a long time since i've used that app) but you may want to make sure that the browser is opening to something like http://localhost/path...­

-chris
A former member
Post #: 7
late reply, but did you get wamp5 to work with DW. There are plenty of other WAMP options, XAMP for example is quite popular, see this comparison on wiki

http://en.wikipedia.o...­
A former member
If I'm not mistaken, I believe pressing the F12 button in DW will only open the file locally (not going through the WAMP setup) thus causing no PHP (or any other server side code) to render (your URL would look like this: C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Documents\Sitename\ind­ex.php).

Solution: Instead of pressing F12 to publish, just save the file to your web folder (most likely c:/Program files/apache2/htdocs/ (or similar) and then view your page using localhost as the url.

;)