The Houston WordPress Meetup Group Message Board › The State Of The Houston WordPress Meetup

The State Of The Houston WordPress Meetup

A former member
Everyone,

The Houston WordPress Meetup Organizers fully acknowledge the stagnation of the group at this point in time. Certain trusted members have stepped up to take a leadership role, and for that we're grateful. Further information on upcoming meetups and organizers will be announced as soon as things are finalized.

As organizers, we've always wanted to create a place for members to not only gather, but to also educate themselves and others about the WordPress that we all know and love. Unfortunately, it takes a good deal of time and sometimes expense to make this happen, and as business owners ourselves, we've not been able to keep up with programming for these events.

In light of this, we've brought in Rick Ankrum to assist in being able to organize meetups. Rick has been a faithful part of the WordPress Meetup since the beginning, and is looking forward to helping the group grow and meet with regular frequency. Keep an eye out for a new event very, very soon.

Unfortunately, recently there has been member activity that has fallen outside of comfortable bounds for the Meetup group. Based on much discussion between the organizers, feedback from members of the Houston WordPress Meetup community, recommendations from trusted members of the worldwide WordPress community and documented legal reasons, we have opted to block any member demonstrating behavior that threatens the best interest of the community at-large and, in particular, the safety and protection of Houston WordPress Meetup group members.

Please know that this was a decision that was not made hastily, and one that was made with great consideration of its fullest implications. As a group, the organizers believe that creating a safe, accessible, reasonable, productive, and positive environment for the WordPress community of Houston is an integral portion of its sustained existence and growth.

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have, either publicly or privately. Better communication is a goal for the organizers. We respect the privacy of all Houston WordPress Meetup members and will not disclose any information that we believe may be in violation of that privacy.

Onward, and happy WordPressing,

Rick, Chris V., and Chris S.
Dean P.
user 13360379
Houston, TX
Post #: 1
Sounds good! Thanks for the update.

I've been in and out of dozens of running and cycling groups on Meetup, but I've never once come into a group and complained about how it or the organizers operated things. I just moved on or worked with other members if I didn't like something. I believe that's a good practice to adhere to no only on Meetup, but in other aspects of networking and group activity; it's much better to have people making the best out of a situation than to have griefers.