We are very excited to announce a new self-study
called HTML5 Brunch. It will begin on November 4.
If you would like to learn HTML5 from the ground
up, consider joining us.
The format of a virtual self-study group is as follows:
- Each participant purchases the same textbook (HTML5 Digital Classroom).
- Each participant commits to read one chapter per week, complete the exercises and post a link to the completed work. Tweet using the hashtag #html5brunch.
- Each participant obtains assistance by posting questions to a discussion area set up on the HTML5 Boston Message Board for each chapter.
- Each participant receives a Boston PHP Certificate of Completion upon finishing all chapters and all assignments.
Note: There is no classroom instruction. However, hands-on assistance is available, if you live in the Boston area, in the following formats:
- Member organized HTML5 Brunch meetups (TBD).
- HTML5 Brunch Coffee Club (coming soon).
How do I get started?
- Become a member of Boston PHP, if are not already a member.
- Register for HTML5 Brunch. Simply RSVP: Yes
- Purchase a book (the only program cost). Simply visit the Boston PHP store and order HTML5 Digital Classroom in one of two formats:
- When your book arrives, start your virtual learning by reading one chapter per week. Complete the exercises and post a link to the completed work.
To learn more about this textbook, check out the review posted by Gene Babon at Amazon.com.
Q: How long will the course last?
A: We will cover 11 lessons (chapters) in the book, so 11 eleven weeks starting November 4. Refer to the HTML5 Brunch Master Discussion List for specific dates.
Q: Do I have to wait until November 4 to begin?
A: No need to wait. Feel free to begin by reading the first lesson (chapter) once you obtain a copy of your book. Lessons 2 thru 5 are optional, but are highly recommended if you are new to HTML and CSS, or need a refresher. Expect the course to last four weeks longer if decide to cover the material in the four optional lessons.
Q: What if I didn't RSVP in time and still want to join?
A: Just write us a note, and if there is still time we can add you to the list. Or you can wait until the next season when we start another.
Final Note: This virtual self-study group is for Web designers and developers who have a working knowledge of XHTML and CSS and want to learn the basics of the new HTML5 and CSS3 standards which are in development and currently in use on iPhones and iPads. Another study group jQuery jAM, Season 2 will be starting up on the same date by Boston PHP.
Let's do brunch!