Humanists of Colorado Message Board › AJC Condemns UN Vote on Defamation of Religions

AJC Condemns UN Vote on Defamation of Religions

Tim B.
Tcsgrv
Denver, CO
Post #: 89
Press Releases
AJC Condemns UN Vote on Defamation of Religions

November 24 – New York – AJC today condemned the UN General Assembly Third Committee’s adoption of a draft resolution urging states to prohibit the “defamation of religions,” especially Islam.

“Today, the United Nations has turned the concept of a human right on its head,” said AJC Executive Director David A. Harris. “This resolution purports to ‘combat defamation of religions,’ but, in reality, it stifles valid scrutiny of radical Islam and condones intimidation as a response to insensitive speech. In a free society, no belief system should be immune from criticism.”

The campaign against the so-called defamation of religion, spearheaded by the UN’s Islamic bloc, stems largely from the 2005 controversy over offensive cartoons depicting the Prophet Muhammad in a Danish newspaper.

Though offended by the cartoons, AJC was the first non-governmental organization to travel to Denmark to express solidarity with the nation. AJC affirmed Denmark’s commitment to freedom of expression, while condemning the widespread violence and intimidation against Denmark in response to the cartoons.

“Many of the key governments behind this anti-‘defamation’ campaign continue to sponsor hateful anti-Semitic and anti-Christian propaganda,” Harris continued. “If that’s not rank hypocrisy, then what is?”

The resolution, sponsored by Belarus, Uganda, and Venezuela, was approved by an 85-50 margin, with 42 abstentions.

The Third Committee, on which all member states are represented, deals with social, cultural, and humanitarian issues. The committee’s adoption of the draft resolution sets the stage for a similar final vote in the full General Assembly in the near future.

The Islamic bloc is also attempting to add “defamation of religions” to the agenda of the April 2009 Durban Review Conference. Several European countries, including Denmark, France, the Netherlands, and the United Kingdom, have threatened to withdraw from the conference if this provision is included.

http://www.ajc.org/si...­
A former member
Post #: 95
JULES SAYS: does this mean i cannot defame my own religion anymore??????? cryingthen why cant I cuz i paid a lot of money and time and heartache for it and by Kieths guitar and the Flying Spaghetti Monster I am not goona let any one tell me what i can and cannot do with it. If I want to take my religion for a walk or clean it or mow it or take it apart or even send it to MALI then im gonna do so cuz im a redblooded american who does what all redblooded americans do with their religion........... sell it to the highest bidder.wink

BTW, any hypocrisy evident in the practice of my religion is an integral part of the core of my religion and is therefore non-hypocritical wink thank FSM im an atheist first and baptist secondbiggrin

~SMILES~
~THE JEVIL~devilish