addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Humanist Fellowship of San Diego Message Board › What's so controversial about a Cheerios commercial?

What's so controversial about a Cheerios commercial?

Wilfredo P.
user 11974495
Chula Vista, CA
Post #: 162
Plenty, it turns out, because it depicts a mixed-race couple. I should be more specific about this because this fact is quite relevant to this issue: the husband is black and the wife is white. This got thousands of racist fools riled up to the point that YouTube had to delete all the comments and prohibit anyone from further commenting on the commercial. Welcome to 'Murika in 2013!

http://www.youtube.co...­

This amuses me in a sense because there have been MANY other commercials featuring other mixed race couples that have not resulted in similar controversy. The most common and "acceptable" mixed-race couple on American television is the white male-Asian female couple. There have been numerous TV commercials featuring such couples and there is absolutely NO controversy about such couples. You can bet it would be different, however, if the commercials featured an Asian male with a white woman. I contend that the racists get riled up primarily when a minority male is paired with a Caucasian woman. Couples consisting of white males with minority women are "perfectly acceptable."

Adults can learn a lot from children. The Fine Brothers' latest "Kids React" video features a bunch of precocious kids who thought it was a pretty good commercial. In fact, they had a hard time understanding why anyone would get upset over it. Take that, racists! Sure, they're waaay precocious. But in times like this, when all attempts at intelligent discussions about race have been replaced by 140-character shouting matches, this is the kind of thing that makes you feel just a little bit better about the future. To the kids in this video: I hope that you grow up to be equally awesome adults.

The children speak:

http://www.youtube.co...­

Wilfredo P.
user 11974495
Chula Vista, CA
Post #: 163
Members may wonder why I submit posts on topics like this one. I would hope that our members understand that we humanists believe in equality and condemn racism and discrimination.

One reason I submit posts on race and ethnicity has to do with something I've noticed about our group. We tend not to discuss issues pertaining to race. This seems odd, because HFSD is very outspoken about women's rights and the rights of the LGBT community. We have had Meet-ups in which we have emphasized that it is wrong to violate the rights of these groups. We strongly emphasize gender equality and we show our support for the LGBT community by marching in the PRIDE parade each year. But we seem to treat issues pertaining to race as hot potatoes. For instance, no one commented on my post regarding the George Zimmerman verdict and our members seem reluctant to talk about it. This is puzzling because the verdict was extremely controversial and of course, big news in our country. There is a reason that President Obama felt compelled to comment on the case. We may disagree with the verdict, but at least the case presented us with an opportunity to talk about issues pertaining to race, including racial profiling, white privilege, the changing demographics of our country and the impacts of these changes, affirmative action (which has been in the news lately), immigration, etc.

Perhaps our reticence to discuss these issues is just my perception. But I have been heavily involved with HFSD for several years now and my perception is based on the lack of interest I see in these issues. It seems to me that of all people, humanists should be able and willing to discuss issues pertaining to race openly, candidly and without fear.

Am I wrong here? Are these issues "too controversial" for our group? Anyone want to comment on this?