addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Humanist Fellowship of San Diego Message Board › Indian-American woman wins Miss America pageant; racist Tweets immediately f

Indian-American woman wins Miss America pageant; racist Tweets immediately follow

Wilfredo P.
user 11974495
Chula Vista, CA
Post #: 171

So what's new? A person with brown skin accomplishes something amazing, and the effing redneck racists of this country have a nuclear meltdown. Welcome to 'Murika. Many people don't believe she's American and many of these Tweets reference 9/11, the mistaken assertion that she's a Muslim, al-Qaeda and that "this is America." Some of these morons think the blonde Miss Kansas should have won "because she actually represents American values" and that she didn't win because of "liberal judges." Personally, I think this is further proof that our country spends far too much on war and not enough on education, though I don't know if people this stupid can possibly be educated.

Gee, I thought Justice Scalia said that racism was dead in this country? Then who's sending these Tweets--dead people?

By the way, when a person starts a sentence with "I'm not a racist," that usually means he or she is a racist. Not surprisingly, quite a few of the racist Tweets come from accounts that quote Bible verses.

http://www.buzzfeed.c...­

http://www.brobible.c...­

http://www.cnn.com/20...­

Kay M
user 78743052
San Diego, CA
Post #: 3
Wilfredo, this makes me so sad.. it's so disturbing. Shortly after 9/11 Chicago held a memorial (or something) downtown. I worked downtown and went with co-workers. Sadly - I saw it then - the divide. us / them. Every 'group' seems to promote this in one way or another.

It's incredibly shocking in this country.. also known as the melting pot of the world. I guess, it's only a melting pot of the 'us's' - not the 'them's'.

See you soon.
lynn
lynn-riggs
San Diego, CA
Post #: 6
As a Humanist, I am going to continue to call us out on our inappropriate ad hominem attacks against fellow human beings. I have done this before privately, but since that discussion apparently didn't stick, am now doing it publicly.

Are we thinkers, or are we reactors, no better than name-callers on an elementary school playground? Do we think that calling others "morons" helps the cause of humanism - encourages people to want to become involved with us, helps them understand and respect our non-theism? Can we successfully separate the person from the belief? If not, can we still call ourselves "Humanists," who allegedly believe in the inherent worth and dignity of every person and whose ten commitments include "empathy"? Even David Silverman, in his presentation to us on the need for Firebrand Atheism, rails against calling others' names: http://www.hfsd.info/...­

Can we reject supernaturalism without rejecting those who don't agree with us, or who, in this case, exhibit racist traits that we reject? Can we PLEASE kick it up a notch?

...Some of these morons think the blonde Miss Kansas should have won "because she actually represents American values" and that she didn't win because of "liberal judges." Personally, I think this is further proof that our country spends far too much on war and not enough on education, though I don't know if people this stupid can possibly be educated.

Gee, I thought Justice Scalia said that racism was dead in this country? Then who's sending these Tweets--dead people?

Wilfredo P.
user 11974495
Chula Vista, CA
Post #: 173
A couple of points, Lynn.

1. I'm well aware of logical fallacies and the ad hominem is one of the most common of these fallacies. But this isn't a debate. Yes, I'm calling these people morons and I stand by that. The common definition of "moron" is "a foolish or stupid person." I don't think any reasonable person would deny that the people sending these racist Tweets fit that description.

2. Sadly, there are very few minority members of HFSD. And you can count the active minority members on two hands. Debbie knows that one of my complaints about HFSD is that we generally ignore issues that are of great importance to people of color. We treat topics pertaining to race as hot potatoes. This is the case even though Christianity has a LONG history of oppressing people of color and perpetuating white supremacy starting with the historically inaccurate white Jesus. Virtually no one in HFSD has spoken out on this except for me. We don't have any problem speaking out LOUDLY for gays and lesbians, but I have yet to see our group do the same for minorities. Because of HFSD's general silence on issues pertaining to race, I feel it's my duty to bring up these issues and remind our group of their importance. I've addressed some of these issues in the HFSD book club, but unfortunately, the attendance at our book club meetings has been declining despite the high quality of the books.

3. I am one of the few voices of people of color for HFSD. I'm passionate about civil rights/equal rights for all. If you haven't noticed, I'm the only one who posts topics regarding race and related issues on our discussion page. I often get angry when I hear about stories such as the one I just posted. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. My angry feelings about these stories mirror the feelings of many of my minority friends. The difference is that when I write about these topics, I don't use f-bombs to accentuate my anger. Words such as "moron," "redneck" and "stupid" constitute very tepid criticism in comparison to the words some of my friends have used. If we want to help the cause of humanism within minority communities, then we should discuss issues important to minorities and stop worrying about criticism of racists--something that I can assure you the vast majority of minorities would agree with.

4. I don't purport to understand the oppression that is perpetuated upon women. I try my best to understand and to be compassionate. I consider myself a feminist and am 100% in favor of equal rights for women. I think women's rights issues are extremely important. But because I'm not a woman, I cannot possibly understand what it's like to be one. I can't imagine always having to be on the lookout for the other 50% of the population that might attack you as a woman. By the same token, with all due respect, I don't think you can fully imagine what it is like to be a person of color in this country. Let's go over once again some of the names I've been called. For full effect, I won't censor them: Jap, chink, ching-chong, Viet Cong, Nip, Yang, Charlie Chan, slant eyes, and bronze nigger, among others. My patriotism has been called into question and some white conservatives told me to "go home" because of my opposition to the Iraq War. I've been complimented on my English because people assume I'm a foreigner. I was mistaken for a foreign student by a high school teacher. I've often been asked, "Where are you from?" and when I answer, "California," the person invariably asks, "No, where are you REALLY from?" Let's face it: a large segment of the American population thinks that the only real Americans are white Americans. Can you understand why those racist tweets towards the new Miss America struck a nerve with me?

5. Normally, I wouldn't give a crap about a silly beauty pageant. But in this year's Miss America pageant, I think it was significant that three of the five finalists were of Asian descent. I think it's perfectly O.K. to blow a few people's minds and show that beauty in America doesn't just mean blonde-haired, blue-eyed
beauties. These pageants appeal mostly to a conservative crowd, the type of crowd that is most resistant to change and diversity. At least these pageants show them (much to their chagrin) that this country is changing right before their eyes.

6. I lived in the South and went to a high school whose nickname was "Rebels" and whose symbol was the Confederate flag. There's a reason I live in California now. There was another Filipino family in a nearby town whose kids were top graduates of the local high school; they all went to top-notch colleges. I guess the Klan didn't like this because they burned a cross in this family's yard. Let's just say that I don't believe in the inherent worth and dignity of EVERY person. Some people are just plain old scumbags. And I don't hesitate to say that.

7. Take all this with a grain of salt if you wish. Reasonable minds can differ, and that's perfectly O.K.

lynn
lynn-riggs
San Diego, CA
Post #: 7
Wilfredo, we have had this discussion before, so you know that I am sensitive to and vocal about racial issues as well, and have spoken truth to power to my great detriment. The subject here is not racism or bringing awareness to it. I respect you, your experiences, your feelings, and your right to express them. Please do continue expressing them - we are richer for your illumination of things that we might otherwise miss. The issue is only this: calling people names.

I don't expect to be able to convince you about the ethical line that I see there, or that as someone in a leadership role in this organization, you might pay particular attention to going over edges like that. I agree to disagree with you about the fact that your word choices reflect on us all. But I will continue to raise the issue when I hear it or see it in print, and unfortunately that will detract from whatever points the speaker or writer is trying to make and dilute his or her primary message (which is, by the way, what the use of pejoratives does all by itself).
MG
Marygale
Escondido, CA
Post #: 1
When I see language like this: "effing redneck racists," "morons" and "people this stupid can [not] possibly be educated," the writer loses all credbility with me. If the words are used for impact, sorry, it just sounds like an excited rant. There's more impact in a calm, intelligent, cogent presentation. I expect civility from fellow Humanists. Offensive language has no place in our forum.
Wilfredo P.
user 11974495
Chula Vista, CA
Post #: 174
Fair enough. But I'm certainly no Dusty Smith or Tony Montana in terms of number of curse words used. By the way, that WAS a rant. Anger and passion are often part and parcel of rants. Other members agreed with me; they just emailed me privately.

Lynn, I know you've stood up for injustices, including racial injustices. That takes courage and I admire you for that. See you at the Meet-up this Saturday.

Wilfredo P.
user 11974495
Chula Vista, CA
Post #: 175
Here's an excellent follow-up article on this topic entitled "Thank You, Miss America." Bravo!

http://www.cnn.com/20...­
A former member
Post #: 38
I can understand the passion behind the rant, Wilfredo. Most of us have our "hot buttons". Mine tend towards Global Corporations since I see them as the greatest threat to the human race (and other species). When I feel a rant coming on, I let it fly on HuffPost or some other news blog. wink
Wilfredo P.
user 11974495
Chula Vista, CA
Post #: 176
I agree with you on the threat of global corporations, Mike, and have enjoyed reading some of your rants on this topic. Nothing wrong with letting it fly on HuffPost! Half the fun of reading the articles is checking out the reader comments that accompany them.

Here's another article (my last one, I promise!) on the original topic entitled "Miss America Nina Davuluri Is Not a Symbol of Progress." It's quite thought-provoking, and the author contends that beauty pageants should be called into question. I tend to agree. Perhaps our society is sending a message about this with the precipitously declining TV ratings for beauty pageants.

http://www.thenation....­