Humanists of Greater Portland Meetup Message Board › New books, Christians going after the new atheists

New books, Christians going after the new atheists

Bernie D.
BernieDehler
Hillsboro, OR
Post #: 1,307
This looks like an interesting new book (only electronic, but also only $2.99) to spark some conversation... Christians against the new atheists. I'm looking forward to seeing what their "intellectual attack" looks like.

"ANNOUNCING TRUE REASON: CHRISTIAN RESPONSES TO THE CHALLENGE OF ATHEISM"
http://www.thinkingch...­

Excerpt:

The story of this book begins very early on Christmas Eve, 2011. I was lying awake in bed, for some reason thinking about the atheists’ upcoming Reason Rally, wondering how it was that they think they could claim the brand of reason for themselves. On this blog, in their debates, in their published work, what I keep encountering among atheists is a limited understanding of reason, and a surprising lack of competence where it counts the most.

Sam Harris is a great example. Reading through his material you find that for him,reason equates with (1) not believing what can’t be demonstrated by observable evidence, and (2) treating one another reasonably. He says almost nothing (a little, but not much) about the crucial underlying foundation of reason: the ability to connect one thought to the next, starting from evidence and/or premises, and come to a valid conclusion. Not only does he say little about it, but as I say in chapter five of the book, he doesn’t practice it at all well.

That’s the kind of thing I was thinking about that morning. Someone needs to write a book, I thought. Then I realized, I know a lot of someones who could do that. I contacted them, and a dozen of them joined with me. Today, exactly 80 days after it was first conceived, the book is available for you to purchase.

Kurt
kujo78
Happy Valley, OR
Post #: 132
I just bought it. I normally don't like to give money to christian apologists, but $4 ain't too bad. Plus it's too new to be found elsewhere. Thanks for the heads up Bernie. I hope to write a review of it after the Reason Rally.
Bernie D.
BernieDehler
Hillsboro, OR
Post #: 1,308
Kurt- are you going to the reason rally? The people who put out the book will be there, so you can meet them if you want.

RE:
http://rally.truereas...­

Excerpt:

Join us in Washington!
Come join us there! We invite you to unite with us in a spirit of grace and truth (John 1:14, 1:18), ready to speak the truth in love (Eph. 4:15), with godly grace and wisdom (Col. 4:6).

This is not a counter-demonstration. We are going there to share Christ person to person as opportunity arises. We will not raise our voices. We will talk with those who want to talk with us. We will offer gifts and materials to all, but we will not press ourselves on those who do not wish to converse.