addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Humanists of Greater Portland Meetup Message Board › New member introduction???

New member introduction???

A former member
Post #: 5
Hello, not sure if this is the place to do this? My apologies if not.

My brief 'joining' profile is here with links to websites:

http://www.meetup.com...­

I'm cross-posting this little bit from CFI Vancouver Skeptics:

New person here. Very excited about getting to meet all of you, when the opportunity presents itself. 52 year old single man who has finally realized, after half a century, that there is no debating (or arguing) with those who cannot reason or think. Have written quite a few articles in the past on this subject and related ones - all pulled because they were ineffective and merely inflammatory. NOT an intellectual or a scientist, but when I get the gerbils up to full speed I'd like to think that I can think (somewhat). Have no idea where the state of affairs is currently with successes by groups such as yours in managing to counter mass ignorance, disinformation and continuing rampant superstition. Media coverage would seem to indicate we are going in the wrong direction. But I would be interested in any discussion taking place that specifically addresses my main concern of this message: how to get your point across to those whose minds are closed off or not able to function on a non-intuitive level? I burned out on this "cause" more than once, partly, I'm sure, because I was operating in isolation. Everyone needs brothers (and sisters)-in-arms in this kind of contest. Anyway, I will be finishing up my profile here in a bit (umm, about the bio... seriously, 250 characters? A very short life, that!) and that will hopefully provide more information about me. My handle here is sarcastic, of course, and refers to one of the articles I alluded to above (now a Note on my Facebook page). Best wishes, and thank you again for letting me join. Daniel (or August, whichever you prefer; August is my legal middle name and I use it as my author name).

And this announcement on one of my books that might be of interest to FSM fans:

THE REAL MOSES AND HIS GOD By August Hunt

Moses and the religious revolution he instituted in the Sinai have long fascinated theologians, archaeologists and the general public. Countless theories have been proposed seeking to identify the founder of Judaism with known historical personages. His god has likewise been subjected to a great deal of speculation. But none of the candidates for this most enigmatic of Old Testament heroes have stood the test of time and scholarly scrutiny. Nor have countless studies done much to add significantly to our understanding of the nascent Yahweh cult. In this controversial study, August Hunt makes his case for the first historically plausible Moses. At the same time, he reinterprets the events leading up to and including the Theophany from a syncretic Egyptian-Hebraic standpoint. This process yields a startling discovery on the very nature and significance of the divine being who became God for much of the Western world. Added to the investigation of Moses and Yahweh is a treatise on Plato’s Lost Continent. A story that in the past has been perverted into a multitude of nonsensical and outrageous fantasies, that of Atlantis proves to be not something the Egyptian priests of Sais placed long before the life of Solon, but is in fact to be understood as a retrograde prophecy of events that had unfolded not long before Plato used the tale for philosophical purposes. As a result, the real Atlantis can be revealed, its chief city described in detail and its bull deity discussed in the context of ancient Elam and Sumeria. Two appendices reveal the locations of the Garden of Eden and the mountain of Noah's ark.

http://www.amazon.com...­