The New York City Information Architecture Meetup Group Message Board › Where to find freelance IAs?

Where to find freelance IAs?

A former member
Post #: 1
Hi Folks. I'm trying to grow my business and I am no longer good enough to do the IA work my clients need. It seems every IA freelancer i've found and hired is a total weirdo so far... (yes, yeweng, i'm talking about you....)

Can any of you IA professionals suggest a good site or place to meet IA folks in between meetups? I'm looking to find 1 or 2 gfolks i can pull in when needed...
Nicole F.
user 7879940
New York, NY
Hi Doug-

I am a freelance IA who is from NYC, but is now living in and taking projects from my home office in Bangkok. I have been doing this successfully for 4 years, communicating mostly via Skype.

I would be happy to discuss a trial project with you (and whoever else might have extra freelance work)- I can offer a lower rate from Thailand than I ask for in NY!

I have great samples and references....

You can reach me at nicole AT usablejungle.com

Thx
A former member
Doug,

I'm a freelance IA. I live in Summit NJ, but I'm in the city often to meet with clients.

Here's what some clients have said about working with me:

• "Chris is a great listener and knows how to translate what he hears into results. He can always be counted on to get the job done right the first time. And, if the project direction changes mid-stream, Chris is able to quickly grasp the new context and adapt with professionalism and speed. Chris has high standards and it shows in every interaction."

• "Chris is a multi-position player who brings high level skills across several categories to your team. He was hired to write detailed Help Copy but quickly showed his expertise at IA and was willing to take on managing Quality Assurance for testing a time sensitive Software release. In each instance he exceeded expectations, gave thoughtful and quality advice to the team and made everything we did the best it could be. He is a great person to have on any team- even, or perhaps most especially, on the inevitable bad day. He is our go-to guy for a range of projects."

• "I worked with Chris Kania at Office.com, and to this day, I still think of Chris as the archetype of what an Information Architect is / does, and why the role is so vitally important. I would sum up Chris's role as this: point A is a general business or web idea, and point B is the actual end-user using the product or site. There is a huge gulf between the two points -- where does the user click? how does the user search? what's the click-flow for doing X? how does the user undo action Y? etc. Chris manages to fill in all these blanks, and to do so with a singular focus on the user experience. His user-flow specs are also amazingly useful -- a unique tool that enables the entire team to get on the same page, and get to building a real, fully functioning product.”

I can be reached at chris (at) chriskania.com. I have a Basecamp setup, where I can create an account for you to view my work samples. Just ask.

Let me know if I can help.

Chris Kania
Susan
9flights
Brooklyn, NY
Hello Doug,

I'm a freelance IA with 14+ years experience in IA and User Experience Strategy and am currently available for work. I live in Warwick, NY - about an hour and a half from Manhattan, and can occasionally travel into the city for meetings during the day. I generally work 20 - 30 hours per week, 2 or 3 set days, evenings and weekends in order to meet project needs. I've just finished up several projects working as a sub-contractor for MKTG (formerly US Concepts/CMKS).

Feel free to contact me for more information, my resume and portfolio.

Best Regards,
Susan Moller
smmoller at gmail