Welcome to the I Liq Chuan Los Angeles practice group. I Liq Chuan, Martial Art of Awareness, is an art of cultivating consciousness based on Tai Chi and Zen principles. Students of all levels and backgrounds are welcome to join.
In practice sessions we are going to:
- learn principles and philosophy of the art. learn to look at your body in a structured way allowing you to observe and recognize when your movement is coordinated and unified and when it is not.
- start with some qigong exercises based on Shaolin Yi Jin Jing complex to stretch and strengthen your tendons, ligaments and muscles, open up your joints, warm up the body and let energy flow.
- do solo practice learning to unify one's body and increase body awareness through 15 fundamental exercises. still and moving meditation.
- learn I Liq Chuan 21 and Butterfly form to feel the energy flow and see how building blocks of basic movement can be applied martially
- do partner practice learning to unify with opponent and increase point of contact awareness
- practice sitting meditation to increase mental awareness
- have some fun applying new skills and knowledge using spinning hands and sticky hands in a more freestyle manner.
Content of each session will vary depending on the level of participants and time availability
Sessions are held by 3rd level I Liq Chuan student.
Sessions are held in the park next to Hoover Recreation Center near Downtown LA (I will be wearing a black t-shirt with I Liq Chuan logo on it)
Morning: Monday through Friday 7:30-8:30am
Night time: Nighttime session is moved to our Bellflower location (please see below)
Bellflower: Wednesday nights 7:30-9pm and Saturday mornings 8:30-10am @ VDT Academy of Asian Martial Arts (9718 Artesia blvd, Bellflower, CA 90706). Please confirm your attendance with me before coming.
LIKE & FOLLOW
Like us on facebook to follow the news and upcoming ILC events:
NO RSVPs less than 24 hours before the session!
Time and place are somewhat flexible and will depend on the participants interests and involvement. Please check out discussions section for time/place suggestions
Please also feel free to check out our weekend Long Beach group led by another I Liq Chuan practitioner (we have at least 4-5 regulars there every saturday):
a brief introduction to the art:
a brief introduction to the martial aspect of the art:
different aspect of training and application of internal power to external arts like muai tai:
a brief description of the art by co-founder of the art and current gate keeper of the system:
"The philosophy underlying I Liq Chuan involves the very simple concept of making an active choice to be fully aware of the present moment, by being aware of the sounds around you, your breathing, your visual perception, and the feel of the atmosphere on your skin. Observe how thoughts pop into the mind, but don't let them take your awareness away. By not arguing or mentally conversing with the thought, you will be free from its control. When you build up mindfulness you can sense everything that an opponent will do, by his energy, his words, or a movement of his hands, you can sense it. By applying and realizing this philosophy, more of life opens up to you because your ability of immediate perception has increased. What might seem like a sixth sense to others, is really just seeing things happening from their base of origin, you see the causes and effects that led up to the present moment. Through awareness: Students are not copying another person, they are learning to be themselves through self-realization. This art is the cultivation of the conscious mind: To unify the mental & physical To unify self (mental/physical) with opponent and environment To see and feel the conditions while staying both mentally and physically in the process of present, formless, and neutral To be free of control from emotions such as anger, greed, ego, hate etc." - Master Sam F.S. Chin
for more info please visit http://iliqchuan.com