addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

DC Indie and Local Music Meetup Message Board › Meetup Changes - Planning Meetups instead of Ideas for Meetups

Meetup Changes - Planning Meetups instead of Ideas for Meetups

Erin B.
user 4028666
Springfield, VA
Post #: 35
So, Meetup has been undergoing some changes (the disappearance of the Maybe option is especially annoying)...instead of having an "Ideas" section, it's been changed to "Meetup in the Making" or something like that. If you have an idea for a meetup, please feel free to share it, but only if you are comfortable with hosting it. The reason being, once two other people like the idea, it appears that it automatically becomes a meetup event and is added to the calendar. If you happen to have an idea, but don't particularly want to host, please add it to the message board and maybe someone else will volunteer to host.

Also, if you already posted an idea, but know you're definitely not hosting, please remove it from the meetups in the making. If it's already added to the calendar, please email anyone else who RSVP'd to ask if they want to host it instead. If not, please remove it from the calendar.

Basically, I'm just trying to avoid a situation where there's an event and no one actually meets each other. And maybe I'm wrong about how this reorganization of the site works (I'm not particularly computer savvy), so let me know if I am.

Thanks!
Erin
Ari
user 8954079
Washington, DC
Post #: 3
Before I rant, I want to mention that hosting is so not a big deal. Just means you definitely have to show up, on time or early, and give people a way of finding you.

That said, most changes to the site have been fine, but this one is annoying. Not only does the person with the idea have to commit to hosting, but instead of other people being able to express interest, they have to commit to attending, too (of course, anyone can change their rsvp later, but it's still a dumb change). I like your suggestion to use the message board now for ideas. Hopefully people will start checking the message board more regularly now; I know I barely did in the past.

I wonder sometimes if social networking sites make changes based on user feedback, or just because their programmers get bored.
A former member
Post #: 1
Thank you Erin and Ari for suggesting to use the message board for any tentative ideas. Meetup.com's change of the Ideas section into "Meetups in the making" is quite regressive, especially with the removal of the numbers of people liking the existing ideas.

If you have an idea for an event in this group, please feel encouraged to post it, but please post it in the discussion board (unless you are sure you want to host the event). Your ideas are always helpful and informative to everyone in this group.
A former member
Post #: 15
I don't really have anything productive to add except that I am also oh-so-frustrated by the changes to Meetup!

Who's bright idea was it to reduce the contrast between the text color and background? Isn't that the first rule of web usability?

And now, not only is the Upcoming Meetups link tucked away in the left margin, you have to scroll through a long list of comments to figure out what's coming up and when.

*vent*

Is there any way we can petition the Meetup management about just how inane the recent changes have been??

Amena
Erin B.
user 4028666
Springfield, VA
Post #: 36
Nothing else to add really, just wanted to reiterate what Ari said, that hosting a meetup really isn't a big deal and anyone is welcome to do so.

And free feel to vent to the folks at Meetup about the changes too!
Erin
A former member
Post #: 16
Here's the link to where you can vote and provide feedback on the New Meetup:

http://meetup.uservoi...­
Erin B.
user 4028666
Springfield, VA
Post #: 37
I contacted Meetup to complain (which I do well) about the recent changes. I was able to change the settings such that shows are not automatically put on the calendar when two other people say they are going. In order for it to go on the calendar, one of the many, many organizers has to add it. BUT feel free to post an idea and I'll add you as an "Event Organizer" (you should get an email notification) and that way you should be able to add to the calendar if you want and it's not contingent on at least two other people saying they are going.

Erin

Oh yeah, and no luck in getting back the Maybe option. :/