addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Indy Gaming Message Board RPGs › New D&D

New D&D

A former member
Post #: 2
A former member
Post #: 35
The link above is a review for D&D 4E by Wired magazine's blog. I thought the review did an OK job. It did a good job of capturing the excitement of the new edition and what is supposed to be different with the system. It doesn't talk about actual play though the blogger was a play-tester.

I've run two sessions of the official intro adventure "Keep on the Shadow Fell," and we found the combats (especially when the PCs get ambushed) to be very long and fairly challenging. This is good if you and your group are into "epic battles," but if you are more into story you may have to make fights smaller. Each 3-hour session we had, had 2 fights with at least one fight taking over an hour.

Combat is supposed to have a bunch of miniatures and focus more on the miniatures play, which works out for WotC because they also sell miniatures separately. I just don't know if I like it. I'm fairly sure I don't love it, so I will probably edit adventures down so the fights aren't as big unless the PCs are finishing the final boss, and even then...

The system is good in that it limits the choices of spellcaster types, but some long-time players aren't going to like that. It's my opinion that players shouldn't have 30 choices per spell level. I began to create a rules-lite version of D&D that gave more choice to fighters & rogue types and restricted choice of spell casters and players who really enjoyed playing spell casters could simply not get into it.
Ryan
user 95299852
Indianapolis, IN
Post #: 2
4th has rampant power creep each book that comes out nullifies the abilities in the last book also some special abilities are only available if you subscribe to a gamer magazine . that and the whole idea of base attack bonus is equal among classes makes no sense....a wizard is just as good at melee as a fighter? That and the level restriction on gear is just silly {lvl 4 for full plate?)

That being said I actually enjoy 4th. It definitely is fun in the proper setting however as an aviud 3.5 fan and pathfinder enthusiast I find it lacking it was to much of a money grab by wotc imo