addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Indy Gaming Message Board LARPs › LARPs... What kinds, and how...

LARPs... What kinds, and how...

Steven
srblack1167
Indianapolis, IN
Post #: 11
Okay, so Heather put me up for LARPs Organizer when she learned that I'm
a regular on the LARP scene....

So, what does the group want??

I can do any or all of the following, but want some feed back!!!

1) List any and all LARP events that I learn of
... a) World of Darkness LARP games
... ... i) Local independent games - I know of 3 off the top of my head
... ... ii) Network games - Camarilla Fan Club - One World by Night
... b) Other games (Zombies as suggested, Star Wars, 7th Sea... etc.)
... c) AmptGard (boffer combat, kinda like Role Playing, but mostly combat)
... d) SCA (Not really gaming, but is still Live Action Role Playing)

2) Create events that educate people about the various LARP options
... a) Small Meetup-only events that are geared to learning about LARPs
... b) OOC socials for LARPers of various styles to get together and discuss
... ... and share ideas, techniques, and invite to other events in the city.

3) Start a new LARP troupe.
... a) We could "play-test" various systems from the old Star Wars to
... ... the new World of Darkness LARP systems...
... b) Just get a new game going on a night other games aren't happening...

I'm not caring much which way we go.

A bit about what I know right now for those options
1)a)i) I know of the following genres:
Vampire: The Masquerade - 1 monthly Saturday night game
Werewolf: The apocalypse - 1 monthly Saturday night game
Vampire: The Requiem - 1 monthly Saturday night game

1)a)ii) I know the following:
Indy:
... Camarilla:
... ... Mage: Awakening - 1 monthly Saturday noon-5 game
... ... Changeling: Lost - 1 monthly Saturday evening game
... ... Werewolf: Forsaken - 1 monthly Saturday noon-5 game
... ... Vampire: Requiem - 1 monthly Saturday evening game
... OWBN:
... ... Vampire: The Masquerade - 1 monthly Saturday evening game
Bloomington:
... Very similar to Indy's lineup
Muncie and Lafayette:
... At least a monthly Camarilla Requiem game
--------------------------------------­--------------------

Also, I know that there is a Troupe game in Anderson of The Masquerade that alternates
between Sabbat and Camarilla settings.... Last I heard, but I'm not in contact w/ those
players on a regular basis....

--------------------------------------­--------------------

SCA has a few groups in Indy that meet at different times for different reasons...
I know that there is an artisians group, light weapons, and heavy weapons groups too.
In Muncie there is a heavy weapons group, which I've not been in contact with for over 5 years...
I'm not in regular contact with SCA people, and have no idea about their schedule...
Should I include it here??? SCA isn't really gaming...
They are more closely related to historical reenactment.

--------------------------------------­---------------------

Amptgard is boffer weapons...
I know of only one group in Indy, but since I don't participate myself it'll take me a few days to
get in touch with someone that is that could keep me up-to-date with their events.
As far as I know, they meet nearly every Sunday out east of post and Washington at a park...

--------------------------------------­---------------------

I can start tracking all of these types of events by the end of GenCon and keep you all up-to-date.
However, I'm not wanting to flood all the "gamers" with TONS of "Meetup" events if I'm really just
commercializing events that are arranged by non-Meetup people so LARPers can keep tabs...

Sorry for the long message....

Point is: What do you guys want?!?

Please discuss.
Black
A former member
Post #: 2
I would be interested in a) Small Meetup-only events that are geared to learning about LARPs.

I never participated in one and no one seems interested in teaching me about them.
John G.
user 26672202
Indianapolis, IN
Post #: 3
You are welcome to stop by the LARP that I run and observe any time.

I am sure that a "workshop" could be done on LARPing.

However, there are different types of LARPs as well, and that could be gone over in a workshop type atmosphere.

Perhaps at Saltire Games at some point in the near future.
A former member
Post #: 3
Hey all!

I'm Austin, and I'm a player in a few LARPs around town (and the region) that use foam weapons (both old-style pipe insulation and duct tape "boffers", and the more modern, European-style latex-coated weapons). I put together a group on Facebook called Central Indiana LARP Scene (CILS; Here's the link.).

On that group, I've been trying to keep up a list of all of the LARPs in the area (both live-combat and more theatrical, i.e. those that use cards or rock-paper-scissors to resolve combat/powers). Here's the current contents of that list (and please feel free to join the Facebook group and add games you play in/run/know about to the list):
--------------------------------------­----------------------------------------­-------------------------------------
Active

LARPs with Live Combat

Theater-style and World of Darkness LARPs

Fantasy Battle Games

Hiatus

--------------------------------------­----------------------------------------­--------------------------------------

As to the "about LARPs" meetup, I would love to participate, and would be happy to bring out costumes and equipment (weapons, armor, etc) for people to check out, as well as to answer those questions that my interest in this aspect of our hobby could help address.
Heather
lovest1274
Fishers, IN
Post #: 249
Wow Austin! Great Post! :) I would like to see more LARP's on our calendar.. We will have to talk about it sometime.