align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Internet of Things London Message Board General › Is it possible to measure the power consumption of a device (i.e. coffee mac

Is it possible to measure the power consumption of a device (i.e. coffee machine?)

A former member
Post #: 1
Am interested in whether it is possible using some existing tools (that you might be aware of) – to measure the power consumption patterns of a particular device (some sort of wireless plug?).

Basically – an espresso machine.

I want to be able to correlate – the energy usage – with actual device usage. So we can say – for instance – roughly that the coffee machine made 20 coffee’s in a day etc..

Possible?
Samuel C.
user 68197692
London, GB
Not sure on any existing equipment, but Arduino should handle this fine. You should take a look at Cosm for the data side.

A quick google found
Andy G.
user 63873252
Beeston, GB
Check out the open.sen.se demo for presentation ideas, at http://open.sen.se/se...­
There is a link somewhere to their video on correlating the number of times the coffee machine is used.
Alexander B.
futureshape
London, GB
Post #: 4
Have a look at OpenEnergyMonitor (http://openenergymoni...­. They have a complete system for measuring and logging power consumption at the level of your power meter, but I'm sure they'll be able to suggest some way of also measuring at the device level.
Jack K.
user 39311352
London, GB
Definitely possible to measure power consumption data from individual appliances.

The lowest cost off-the-shelf system would probably be to use a Current Cost Individual Appliance Monitor (IAM) for each appliance you want to measure and a Current Cost EnviR base station. You can connect a PC (or raspberry pi or whatever) to the EnviR using CC's USB cable and you'll get data from each IAM roughly every 6 seconds in XML format.

If you use lots of CC IAMs then they become rather susceptible to RF collisions. If it's important to have reliable data then take a look at the EDF Transmitter Plugs. These are very similar to CC's IAMs but have a more reliable RF protocol (you'll need an EDF EcoManager to talk to the EDF Transmitter Plugs though)

Neither the CC RF protocol nor the EDF RF protocols are encrypted so you can hack together your own receiver using an Arduino and an RFM12b RF module if you're so inclined ;)

Other manufacturers make IAMs. e.g. plugwise.