addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Asheville Wine & Food Society Message Board › Results of our survey and meetup discussion

Results of our survey and meetup discussion

Mary T
user 10547926
Group Organizer
Asheville, NC

Hello all,
On August 23 we had about 10 people show up at the Champaign Bar. I showed the results of our survey and we had a very productive chat about where to take the group.   I want to send out a brief summary and welcome others who were at the meeting to chime in with details and clarifications.  Others can post questions if you wish.

First, you can find the results of the survey at
http://www.fwmasheville.org/survey­

As you will also see, this page is part of a new website that I am building for the group. On this site I will provide things like a list of local wine shops, twitter feed with those shops, and other useful and relatively easy to collect information that may not be supported via the Meetup website framework. One member has offered to set up a facebook page for those who use it and I will add links where appropriate.

At the meetup,  people offered up many interesting and fun ideas for meetups.   To sum up most of it:

• I will organize a "Standing monthly wine meetup" (to steal a phrase from the beer group) at one of the local wine shops or bars.
  • I will organize a quarterly wine pairing dinner.
  • Members are encouraged to post unique wine events that they discover around town.
  • Members are encouraged to post home events such as potluck dinners or full, member provided dinners.
  • We will investigate trips to wine festivals and wineries.

The standing monthly wine meetup will be held on a particular Thursday of the month, probably the second or third.   (Please send preferences or limitations.)  We will gather and handle our own purchases. Over time we may consider a prepayment for appetizers should that seem to be something that would work for the group.

The  quarterly wine dinner will be targeted for 8-12 members, not too large but large enough to make it worthwhile for the restaurant.  We  will prepay via PayPal on the website.

While I hope that with things like twitter and facebook we can automagically track most of the ongoing events at the wine shops, other unique wine events do happen and members are encouraged to post them.

For potluck dinners, basically someone opens their home and advertises it. It could be themed (such as holiday or ethnicity) and members sign on to bring food dishes and/or wine. I suspect there would be much group discussion on the meetup website as such an event came together.

For full, member provided dinners, the member does all of the planning, advertising, and preparation. They set a price for the dinner and members who sign up would pay in advance via PayPal on our meetup site.

In the event that you are still reading, you probably think that this has gotten long.  So I will stop at this point and ask that others chime in with details and anything that I may have forgotten to mention.

Thanks again for all of your interest and input!
Mary