addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Mitsuwa Market Area Japanese Language and Culture MeetUp Message Board › How difficult is Japanese?

How difficult is Japanese?

A former member
Post #: 121
They say that Japanese is difficult for English speaking people to learn than other leagues. This is a source of their statement:
http://www-personal.u...­

This source says that Japanese is listed as in one of the most difficult language groups for English speaking people to be proficient in. Learning Japanese in a class room setting is boring, however. Why don't we learn Japanese in the woods? Let go for camping! lol

Karl S.
user 11479320
Arlington Heights, IL
Post #: 2
I'm pretty sure I've seen that list before.

I know I had an easier time with French than I've had with Japanese, but I've also spent more than twice as much time studying French than Japanese. However, I'm not going to look at a list like that and use it as an excuse to tell myself that Japanese is too difficult to learn. All it means is that I may have to work a bit harder at it.

And personally, I'm most comfortable with a mix of classroom learning and informal meetings. It feels a bit more balanced to me that way, I guess.
A former member
Post #: 1
Personally - I learned 4 years of collegiate Japanese (including Kanji) in 6 months while I was enlisted in the Navy. I aced the class, literally. Learning a language is difficult for most people, but I found it easy.

There are different ways of learning Japanese, if you want my help, I would surely give it to you. I tutor Japanese at the local community college and in my free time.

However, one must practice speaking, reading, and writing Japanese everyday to fully grasp it IMHO.

Jon-san
Mei-Sing
user 9715601
Elk Grove Village, IL
Post #: 2
Hi Jon-san,

it was very impressive that you could learned 4 years of college japanese in just 6months. I would like to hear more about your learning techniques and your experience when I meet with you in person. That's really amazing learning new language ability of yours!

~Mei-Sing
Jeremy C.
user 2497129
Chicago, IL
Post #: 46
I'll bet it was an intensive immersion course. I think most regular college courses do 3 hours per week for 16 weeks. 8 semesters (4 years) would be 384 hours total. Let's double it to include study time - so you would need 768 hours to complete 4 years of college Japanese. If that was your main activity most days (say 6 hours a day M-F) you could complete it in about 25 weeks which is about 6 months. And it turns out that for languages, that kind of focus and "immersion" is very good for learning quickly (though also very good for forgetting it quickly if it is not practiced regularly). If it wasn't that kind of course, it is truely amazing. But even if it was it is very impressive that Jon-son did so well and has kept up with it since. I just wish I could afford the time off to do one of those.

Jeremy