addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Dallas Japanese Language and Culture Meetup Group Message Board › Japanese Study group

Japanese Study group

Kyle N.
user 10295345
Dallas, TX
Post #: 24
Understood, I apologize for overstepping my bounds. This is really the only experience I've had using Meetup.com and I'm not too familiar with the protocol. I'll create a separate group for study sessions going forward.
A former member
Post #: 22
Curtis

I am not totally sure what transpired here. Perhaps I caught the tail end of it. However it seems people have used this group's board as a way of promoting study groups or social events or a combination of both. I too have done this over the course of 8 years since I joined.

It is a great way for people who have joined for various reasons to find others with similar goals/ideas about Japanese Language and Culture. I myself and a few others meet on Saturdays at Saxby’s coffee cafe on Midway to study Japanese just after we have attended The Japanese School around the corner. It is very convenient. It is not a large place but we would like those interested to feel free to stop by and perhaps they may want to study with us. I believe the board is a great way to solicit to people whom have found this site about these types of sub groups and what some members are doing.

As for a formal announcement I am not opposed to an initial "event post" but for these weekly study groups or even biweekly or last minute "get some members to go bowling/hang out at someone’s pool etc." Without making two or three other separate groups of which people who share the same propensity/proclivity that is centered around Japanese Language& Culture. The message board is a great medium for this. If people who have signed up get the emails of posts or are who are actively looking.. perhaps to find these sometimes impromptu or even for example people who just study KANJI or ORIGAMI find these posts, I think it is very grand we have this site and a way to communicate amongst one another.

I have not been to the " once a month meeting at Cafe Express we used to have but I used to use that meeting to find people who really liked to hang out and enjoyed studying the language and those who liked this coupled with a little Sake or drink of their choice. Back in the old MOOSH days. We still get together at the NEW MOOSH AKA 'TEI AN" downtown. Mostly on Saturdays and rarely on Wends days. Anyone interested can always call me @ 972-849-8597. You used to come out as you know "we had many a good time"

Also I know this group is not free to have on this site. I would be glad to contribute to this worthwhile cause.

Thanks Scott

Look forward to hearing from you

Hope to be out more to the monthly
A former member
Post #: 67
I also think that anyone actively trying to persue studying the language or anything else for that matter will check the message boards to find info relevant to them (or will start their own thread if needed). The only downside I see to the message board is that it is filled with a lot of useless info - things posted by former members, info about events that happened years ago, etc. There are 10 pages of message threads and many threads often have pages and pages of messages. It will helpful to the group if someone could remove all the irrelevant info and therefore make it easier for members to find current info. I realize that this is extra work for the organizers as only they are able to delete posts, but I think it would make the message boards better.

It certainly won't hurt anything to have the various groups or classes listed on the calendar as well - either as actual meetup events or as notes. Just means an organizer will have to post and keep track of all the details (in other words, even more extra work).

As for the more social events, it seems its been a while since there have been dinner meetups. Perhaps the group needs to have some more, so people can meet and get to know other members. I realize that members live all throughout the DFW regions, so maybe have several dinners a month to cover different areas. I would be happy to host a dinner meetup in my area (McKinney, Allen or even North Plano) if no one else is able to.
Curtis G.
cjgarrison
Dallas, TX
Post #: 102
Thanks for the feedback, Kyle, Scott and Michelle. The truth is, I simply do not have the time that I used to to put into this Meetup group... in a way that would allow it to get back on track and grow to the next level. I've met a lot of great people and the members have always been a joy to work with and we've had some great activities.

Many events happen throughout the year that are Japanese related and help people learn more about the language and culture. If others would be able to help put a little time into sharing that, and possibly participating and supporting that, then things would be much better, but either we all don't have the time and same vision to contribute, or I simply don't have the time to inspire and allow those opportunities with this Meetup group to grow.

I hope everyone has benefited like I have from this group and hope things are figured out to help it continue and have a great future as well...