Jacksonville Board, Card & Trivia Game Meetup Group Message Board › Alternate Meetup Locations

Alternate Meetup Locations

Group Organizer
Jacksonville, FL
Post #: 1
Hello, Fellow Group Members!

It's come to my attention that our Meetup group is growing. The group has grown to the point that we are on the cusp of maxing out the available space at our various hosts' lovely homes. Because we also have a growing number of regular attendees, this limits the availability for new members to attend our Meetups. Our waiting list ebbs and flows with each event scheduled and these necessary strictures make me nervous because I don't want anyone to be left out.

I'm posting this discussion thread to see members' thoughts about seeking alternate venues. The local libraries are free to register, and other large groups have done so successfully. At the same time, I'm open to suggestions for other larger-capacity venues if anyone has ideas. Please email me or respond to this thread with your input.

Thank you!

Marie Niesse
Assistant Organizer
Jacksonville Board, Card & Trivia Game Meetup Group
Erika S.
Jacksonville, FL
Post #: 21
I agree that the meetups are growing... they seem to be filling up and there are sometimes people on the waiting list. No, I don't like leaving people out that are interested in attending. First, I think most venues could accomodate a few more people if need be. Usually the shortage is chairs, so if a few people bring chairs, then we can potentially make room for a few more! Of course, this is up to the house owner that is hosting the meetup and should be treated on a case by case basis. Another thing, although this group is better than most other meetups, there are usually a few people that RSVP yes that have last minute schedule changes and don't make it. This would make room for a few more to join.

I like the idea about alternative venues. For me personally, the library poses some problems. At most meetups, we tend to be a bit loud. There are also times at the meetup that we are "hanging out" conversing while we are waiting for the next game. The Library wouldn't really accomodate for that. Plus, a library would not allow food and "beverages"! I see the Library meetup as being a "serious" gamers event. I think some would like the option, therefore perhaps we should try it, BUT I would hate to see the other meetups be replaced!

Perhaps we can find restaurants that can host our group occasionally! We did a game night at a hookah bar once with another group and it was a lot of fun! There was plenty of room, some people were playing games and others were just talking and enjoying everyone's company. Perhaps the Hookah Bar would not be of interest for this group, but I am sure we can find other restaurants that would be interested in accomodating us! I can look into this option if you are interested!

Perhaps a combination of all three would make everyone happy! One thing that I think makes the meetups fill so quickly is that they are only once a month. Perhaps we could try every other week and change up the venues and we might be able to accomodate more peoples interests and schedules!

That's my 2 cents... well, maybe that was more like a $1 worth!
A former member
Post #: 1
All of the suggestions sound very doable. What might sound even better is locating a clubhouse we can rent for one of the two monthly meetups. Of course, we would all have to chip in but I think it's a great way to accommodate our increasing numbers of interested members. If any the members live in an apartment complex, maybe they could find out how much it would be to rent their clubhouse.
user 8864564
Jacksonville, FL
Post #: 3
A sports bar where there are lots of tables might be an option but it would have to be on a slow sports night and probably not possible on a Fri/Sat night when we usually like to meet. The 'home' venues are more causal and less costly than if we went to a restaurant/bar and had to pay for food/drinks.
Group Organizer
Jacksonville, FL
Post #: 2
A clubhouse might be an option, Liz, and a relatively inexpensive one once we priced around. If anyone lives in an apartment or condo complex that provides one of these, that might be something viable to pursue.

Erika, you also suggested some restaurants. Would you mind making a couple calls and seeing about reserving a private section for our Meetups, potentially? I'd like to make a couple calls, too, because Randy suggested yesterday that some places will let you reserve a section for free if your group eats there.

We're now holding Game Meetups twice a month, in most cases. Switching things up might take some of the pressure off of the same few hosts/hostesses, while also accommodating more people -- at least potentially.

The library would actually be fine about the noise level and food -- both would be allowed. However, there wouldn't be alcohol permitted and it would be less "private". We would also need to hold Meetups during the daytime hours rather than the evenings.

Don't worry about any of these alternate venues "replacing" the in-home structure we already have in place, as it is working very well in most respects. My offhand thought is that maybe we could try a new locale once every 6-8 weeks and just see how it goes.

I'm so glad we're having this conversation! Thank you all for contributing your comments!

A former member
Post #: 9
With all due respect to Lucy, I think that sports bars are too noisy. I like the other ideas that have been posted, however.