addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo
Emmanuel L.
exlemor
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 5
Hi everyone,

One of the things that I have always thought overall about Joomla is that after the product is built, there is SO much extra load created by Joomla that the output of a site no matter how great the hosting is, is not as fast as I would love it to be...

This is exacerbated by some frameworks and template club makers by having everything including the kitchen sink in their frameworks and especially lately in their CSS files... one template I was looking at had 250kb of JUST CSS.

[Now I know I can either via the template framework or via 3rd party utilities actually compress that]

Most of the time these templates have so many extra cool component/module theming or other special CSS codes for things that in the end the site doesn't end up having - like look at all this beautiful form CSSing we did for you - GREAT, but I don't have a form on this site using your CSS !?!

So I was looking for / wondering if there was actually a tool [Mac based] or web service or etc or even Joomla plugin that compared WHAT I actually had pages for vs WHAT CSS were declared in the myriad of CSS files and dump a comparison or equivalent saying - you see all of this wonderful CSS over here - yeah - you're not ACTUALLY using any of it on any of the pages of your site...

So then I would be able to remove it all and save quite a bit of bandwidth... make the site load that much faster...

I realize for a small site with 4-5 pages this sounds like one more step you have to make but with a larger site that can make quite a bit of difference - I have done this process MANUALLY [think shotgun to the head here ;)] and while it took longer than I was willing to spend I did it as an experiment and it was well worth it saving more than 250kb in site loading requirement - when you combine that with advanced image processing and other techniques, the savings are quite impressive.

Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers,

Emmanuel.
Jennifer G.
user 9435710
Group Organizer
Santa Cruz, CA
Post #: 38
hi,

i do not know the answer for this. however, if you don't find what you're looking for here, i would post this same thing to the Joomla Performance forum http://forum.joomla.o...­. Lots of talk there.

:) jenn