Urban Jews PDX Meetup Group Message Board › Are you unemployed or underemployed?
Are You Unemployed, Underemployed or Unhappily Employed?
You’re invited to be part of a new job support network specifically for individuals ages 22-35 that’s about to launch.
Still hunting for jobs on Craigslist and Monster? Have you emailed out hundreds of resumes and not even received a reply? Employment experts say that in the next year, over 80% of all new jobs will be located and filled through relationships and networking!
To help us meet the unique employment challenges we are facing in this recession, JFCS is sponsoring Building Careers Collectively (BCC), a free job support network for unemployed, under-employed and unhappily employed young adults (ages 22-35).
Building Careers Collectively is co-sponsored by Machar & Urban Jews PDX and CBI’s Jews Next Dor. Our purpose is to provide group members with insights and support from local job placement professionals at no charge, and to help them increase their marketable skills, make strategic contacts—and put themselves in the right place to find work that’s interesting, satisfying and in alignment with their professional goals.
In addition to responding to the specific needs proposed by group members, our meetings and online discussions will focus on:
* Understanding how the job market has changed & what it’s really going to take to find work
* De-stigmatizing job searching and connecting with talented people in the same situation as yourself
* Using the recession as a springboard to learn what you really want to do
* Capitalizing on your current skills and developing new ones
* Using internships and targeted volunteering to build skills and contacts
* New trends in resumes, cover letters and job search strategies
* What networking really is and how to do it
* Making the transition from “just a job” to "career and meaningful work”
* Finding ways to earn income while you're looking for work
* Sharing resources, leads, contacts, support
* Helping each other succeed
Want to learn more? Think this might be helpful to you?
The initial kickoff/planning meetings for BCC are scheduled for Monday, April 6 and Tuesday, April 14, both at 7 p.m. They will be held at the Oregon Jewish Museum, 310 NW Davis St, Portland, which has generously donated the use of its space as a meeting place.
Interested individuals should let BCC coordinator Brian Vasbinder know which meeting they plan to attend (you don’t have to go to both) by emailing email@example.com or calling 510-846-6487 (cell).
We’re all in this together, and we can improve our chances of getting and keeping the positions we really want if we work together as a team. Please join us.
The folks who come to this meeting will have the opportunity to shape the program from the very beginning.